Who dives with 2 computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver, anything you do wil be both with a buddy ( hopefully a 'real' one) and well within no-stop limits, though doing a safety stop isnt a bad idea, and ensures a more controlled ascent.
Therefore, your buddy will be carrying your back-up computer for you - and in the unlikley event of simultaneously losing your computer and buddy together simply head up to the surface in the easiest/safest way possible - which may involve swimming up a reef as opposed to a direct ascent using your bubbles as a rough guide for speed, and some sort of safety stop if you feel the need.
When diving deep and/or long, I my well be solo, and then I'll carry 2 d-timers. A shallow wreck penetration ( there ren't many around) I'd simply turn the dive if I had a computer failure.

Even if your buddy has a computer, it won't correctly reflect your dive profiles. Getting the buddy's info would give you a rough idea about depth and times, but I've always been taught not to share a computer.

In my experience my buddy and I never stay at exactly the same depth for the same time. Plus there have been times when one is on nitrox and the other on air. There are just too many different variables to each person's dive it make them interchangeable.

But remember we are talking about new divers, not those doing anything deep or scary - loading a new diver, who already has lots to think about with more information than is necessary ( 2 different computers will often give quite different ascent times) can be counter productive

Agree that a new diver doesn't need 2 computers. But I believe a new diver should be diving with a computer. I bought my first computer right after I did my OW certification dives and before leaving on my holiday the following weekend....I knew that I was hooked.

My point was that relying on your buddy's computer isn't really the way to dive.

The question was about back-up computers for novices, whic I don't agree with. They should have some sort of timing/depth device though - until they do, they are simply following and not learning as much, or taking any kind of control.
When I started out, it was watches and depth gauges, I got one fo the first computers in the club about a year later, and used it for several years - now things have come full circle and I no longer possess a computer, but use d-timers - as do my kids.

One computer here and here's a dive watch, click link below, you need to consider(for under $30 to your door).....One quick question, why stop @ 2 computers(2 could fail as easily as one, right??..The arm can hold alot of them & then there are 2 arms---most of the time)....IMO, some take this sport waaaay too far.......

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry

My point was that relying on your buddy's computer isn't really the way to dive.
I'm not as much advocating relying upon the NDL calculations of your buddy's computer, both rather pointing out that it is available to you as a depth gauge and a timer.

All you need is a way to safely get back to the surface. Your buddy's computer will help you judge depth and the time for safety stop --- although unless the visibility is very bad, one should be able to make a pretty good guess on that without a depth gauge or computer.

--------------

A related question that pops up frequently is whether or not a diver with an air-integrated computer needs to have a backup SPG. Just like with a computer, my philosophy is that one needs to be able to safely abort a dive.

If you have been paying attention to your air/nitrox/gas pressure and have planned your ascent or turnpoint or rock bottom pressure properly, you will always have not only enough for you to safely end the dive, but enough for both you and your buddy to safely end the dive while sharing air.

So if you air-integrated computer stops giving your air pressure info, simply abort the dive. You KNOW you have enough air.

Eau_Girl,

You enumerate several important reasons why 2 divers should not share one computer -- slightly different profile, different gas, etc. I am only advocating that a buddy pair share one dive computer in the event that one of their computers goes down during a dive. It seems reasonable to me that sharing the computer should allow the buddy pair to safely ascend to the surface.

-----
edit: I just see that others have responded with similar comments. I apologize for the redundancy.

One computer here and here's a dive watch, click link below, you need to consider(for under $30 to your door).....One quick question, why stop @ 2 computers(2 could fail as easily as one, right??..The arm can hold alot of them & then there are 2 arms---most of the time)....IMO, some take this sport waaaay too far.......

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry

diver 85,

I understand what you're trying to say...and I agree to a certain extent. Technically speaking, however, the probability that 2 dive computers will fail is actually lower than that of one failing (multiply the probabilities together). This calculation assumes that the two dive computers are independent "events."

---------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." -- Mark Twain

Agree on the points about the buddy's computer being a back up depth gauge and timer as well as a way to get safely back to the surface. I was just concerned that new divers might interpret that sharing was ok on a regular basis. Sorry! Didn't mean to get side-tracked.

I also agree that it is a good idea to have a rough idea of the dive tables in your head especially on pretty deep dives. Modern technology is great but when it fails you can always rely on you brain right??

-------------
Charlie99, with respect to your comment on air-integrated computer, I haven't done that route yet and am happy to have the hose with my SPG. I guess I'm old fashioned but the low tech way gives me peace of mind!

Back
Top Bottom