Who carries a Safety Tube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some boats are requiring everyone have a SMB. You don't want to get taken out to sea at the end of the dive or left behind by the boat. You might end up in a movie.

EDIT: I carry SMB, mirror and whistle. I think you should too $0.02

Last edited:
Could also be something you carry in your back pocket all wrapped up in case you ever get lucky...for your own safety :rofl3: No link provided
:tmi2:
Rick

I carry two lift bags in open water, none in caves.
Rick

I do. Thumb reel, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a sausage (aka "safety tube":wink:), whistle, and backup light on all dives. Both my knives are shiny, so they'll double as a signal mirror.

We recommend a surface marker as a standard piece of everyone's kit. If it is always there, then you never need to think about it, and you won't be wishing you had it when you truly need it.

Yes of course, caving is the exception, but if you build your SMB into your kit, or mount it to your backplate, then it is never an issue.

I carry an SMB every dive. In the Bahamas and Roatan I never used it. In Cozumel I used it every single boat dive when at the surface waiting for the boat to pick us up.

For safety stops I just use the computer's depth gauge, and I have another gauge as b/u.

I'd strongly suggest having one. If you don't' use it, it stays neatly rolled up and clipped to you and isn't in the way at all.

I generally carry some type of signaling device if I think I may encounter rough seas or strong currents like off the coast of NC or maybe Cozumel. Never carry one in places like Bonaire, Roatan, or the Caymans.

Back
Top Bottom