Whites Fusion and 3rd party Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenaxia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys, I had a question and search isn't turning up anything related.

I'm looking at getting a fusion, and was wondering if there were any way to install 3rd party pockets on the bullet skin. It seems all discussion until now has been on how to install the factory pockets aftermarket.

Considering that the bullet skin is neoprene, could you not just glue a 3rd party pocket onto it as you would on a crushed neoprene suit? Obviously there's the stretch of the skin that should be taken into account but that should be a trivial issue.

Additionally, couldn't a piece of vinyl or some similar material be glued on the inside to prevent slipping?

They supposedly resolved the pocket sag issue. The new pockets are much improved over the Fusion Tech Skin LE which is what I have. I hate my pockets and have been considering upgrading to the Bullet just for the pockets.

I wouldn't recommend going with a different brand pocket than what the Bullet comes with. Even though the "H" brand pocket is far superior.

Well my issue is with how small the pockets are. Going with the factory pockets don't really provide much.

Given that the skin comes off the suit, I'd think you could take it off and take it somewhere and have pockets sewn on. I have tried doing DIY glued pockets, and eventually they just peel down from the corners. I know DSS has pockets that are mounted on a neoprene backing, so that they won't do that, but they're quite expensive -- it's cheaper to take the 5th-D $30 pockets and have someone do the stitching.

I know a couple of people who have set up a system to Velcro the skin to the bag where the pockets are. They seem fairly satisfied with the results. (I think Rick Inman and airsix have done this.)

Well my issue is with how small the pockets are. Going with the factory pockets don't really provide much.
Just what do you carry, or plan to carry in your pocket?

Given that the skin comes off the suit, I'd think you could take it off and take it somewhere and have pockets sewn on. I have tried doing DIY glued pockets, and eventually they just peel down from the corners. I know DSS has pockets that are mounted on a neoprene backing, so that they won't do that, but they're quite expensive -- it's cheaper to take the 5th-D $30 pockets and have someone do the stitching.
FWIW I had great luck getting the XS Scuba (Left pocket) and the Oxycheq (Right pocket) to stick to my CF200. Not a single corner has peeled. Both of the pockets have neoprene backing. I would swear they are the exact same pockets. No way would I try to glue them to a Fusion skin. Plus they are pretty small pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom