whites drysuits questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbo4567198

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to buying a drysuit in the next couple of months and have narrowed the field down to 3: DUI CLX450, Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry, and Whites Fusion Tech. Of the three, I've actually been able to see the DUI and Bare in stores, but I haven't had a chance to see and handle a Fusion. More importantly, I haven't been able to talk to someone with direct experience diving a fusion and who has been able to compare it to DUI or Bare suits. The two concerns that were expressed to me by experienced staff at the stores I visited with regard to the White Fusion were the amount of insulation required to be comfortable cold water diving with the suit and something about having to manually vent the suit to control buoyancy when ascending. I admit I didn't fully understand the second concern as I thought the valve can be set to automatically vent as needed (providing you lift your shoulder). But the issue of insulation concerned me. I'm hoping there are people here that can give me a unbiased and experienced opinion of the Fusion pros cons ect.

Thanks everyone!

The two concerns that were expressed to me by experienced staff at the stores I visited with regard to the White Fusion were the amount of insulation required to be comfortable cold water diving with the suit and something about having to manually vent the suit to control buoyancy when ascending.
@jimbo4567198: These are not valid concerns. The Fusion, just like any other shell drysuit, relies on appropriate undergarment selection to ensure that the user is warm enough. I have no idea what the "experienced staff" were talking about when they mentioned the drivel about manually venting the suit during ascent. The Fusion has an exhaust valve positioned on the left upper arm just like most other drysuits on the market. No problems venting at all. The valve itself is manufactured by Si-tech. It can be set to automatically dump gas when a certain pressure is reached. It can also be manually dumped by depressing the entire valve. The identical Si-tech valve can be found on many other brands of drysuits.

If this is what the "experienced staff" are telling you, I'd have to seriously question the veracity of any other info that they gave you.

I'll let owners of the Fusion discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the suit. I demoed it and really liked the flexibility of the suit. The price isn't bad either compared to the DUI offerings.

I second what Bubbletrouble said. I myself would question the motives of the sales staff. Having said that I dive a DUI TLS350. I recently got a chance to try out a fusion and I was extremely impressed. The mobility was amazing, alot more comfortable in the water than my DUI. As far as warmth I didn't notice any difference between my DUI and the fusion. I will soon be a fusion owner.

Jimbo,

PM me. I live in Calgary and another SB member, Hawkwood, does too. We both have Fusions. I got mine in June and put on 20-25 dives on it before the ice came.

Regarding insulation: I dove Forget-me-not for a ~35 min dive, at 37F (90F air) with little more than 200g fleece pants & jacket with polypro undies. I dove Minnie while assisting a OW class after Thanksgiving and was in the water (42F water, 40F air) from 9am to 1pm, with another 200g fleece vest. I was little chilled nearing the end as we never got out of the water for a SI. I haven't invested in any diving specific undies, but I think something like thinsulate would have been a better choice because the overskin does take away some of the loft of a high loft fleece.

Regarding exhaust valve: I usually have mine nearly wide open and only close it a couple clicks when I need to fluff up my insulation.

Let me know if you want more info or even want to try mine on (I'm 6', 200lb, 42" chest with long leg so I have 2xl/3xl). Hawkwood has a lg/xlg and another buddy of mine has the same but with the LE skin.

Kevin

Picking up my fusion tech on Friday . . . my better half has a DUI . . you can imagine our debates.

Like all dive gear, I'd suggest diving it . . . do any of your local shops offer demo days? We are fortunate to have a great outfit locally that does and allows you to directly compare the various brands. Valuable given how much money we invest in staying dry.

Any laminate suit is going to be dependent on undergarments for warmth -- such suits have no intrinsic insulating capacity, and a DUI suit is no different from a Fusion in that respect.

As stated, Fusions come with SiTech dump valves, which work very nicely just like any other SiTech valve on any other (eg. Bare) suit.

You're getting bad info.

BTW, I am a Fusion owner, with the Sport skin, and I've had my suit for two years and still absolutely love it. I have had very few criticisms of the suit at all, and at least one of them has been corrected by Whites since I bought mine.

Thanks for the feedback gang. The jury seems to be in on the fact that you did indeed receive some incorrect information regarding having to manually dump the exhaust valve. As stated above our valves come from SI-TECH and all are ratchet dialed which allow them to be adjusted to control the air flow. The forum is also correct in corresponding about shell suits requiring some form of undergarmet to protect against the elements. We have a full series of thermal undergarmets to make your dive more comfortable no matter if you dive in the tropics, or if your ice diving. Along with the fusion you won't find a more comfortable dive.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to hook up with Kevin at some point to check his Fusion out and then make my decision. From all that I've read about the suit, it sounds awesome...very different from most suits that are available. Thanks again.

Just in case those replies aren't enough, as a new Fusion owner I can vouch for the above claims. Unless you go with a different suit material, such as crushed neoprene, you will need to wear thicker undergarments but you will also have greater flexibility. The dump valve worked fine for me in the pool and I had no problem venting with it. Overall I'm impressed with it but it is my first drysuit so I don't have much to compare it to until I make it to one of the DUI dog days.

I'm going to buying a drysuit in the next couple of months and have narrowed the field down to 3: DUI CLX450, Bare Trilam HD Tech Dry, and Whites Fusion Tech. Of the three, I've actually been able to see the DUI and Bare in stores, but I haven't had a chance to see and handle a Fusion. More importantly, I haven't been able to talk to someone with direct experience diving a fusion and who has been able to compare it to DUI or Bare suits. The two concerns that were expressed to me by experienced staff at the stores I visited with regard to the White Fusion were the amount of insulation required to be comfortable cold water diving with the suit and something about having to manually vent the suit to control buoyancy when ascending. I admit I didn't fully understand the second concern as I thought the valve can be set to automatically vent as needed (providing you lift your shoulder). But the issue of insulation concerned me. I'm hoping there are people here that can give me a unbiased and experienced opinion of the Fusion pros cons ect.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Jimbo,

I just wanted to jump in here and ask whether your local dealer is a Whites dealer or not? Based on the info that was given to you, I would have to assume that they are not. As someone else has already mentioned, you have recieved some questionable information.

The good news is that you were wise enough to pose your questions to the SB community! If you would like any more info, please feel free to PM me or Dogfishdoug and we would be happy to help you.

Cheers,

Justin Balaski
Whites Mfg Ltd.

Back
Top Bottom