White Shark Cage Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiefbrody1

Reaction score
I'm a diver from TX. We're going to be in San Francisco in Oct. and I'm wanting to do a cage dive at the Farallon Islands.

The cheapest one day trip 'online' is $775.

Once I get to San Francisco, are there cheaper trips from smaller shops or non-online places? I saw one for around $500 last year but can't find it now.

Any referrals would be great. Thanks.

Not that I've ever heard.

Most of us locals just aren't into white shark diving. We'd rather they left us alone and we're quite willing to do the same.

Agreed with Fisheater. I believe that there is only one operator that does shark cage trips. Like Fisheater said, not really much of a market for it, IMHO.

Also Agree - A good book about the Farallones you might want to check out is "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey. It is about the research that is done on the islands as well as a little history and some great stories revolving around the islands and the sharks. The subject of cage diving and specifically the one person who operates diving in the area is discussed.

Shark diving at the Farallon's is a hit or miss deal, with no refunds. They can only chum with fish, no mammal blood. Your time would probably be better spent in Monterey diving Point Lobos or some of the other spectacular dive sites.

Just remeber that the Great White Shark diving season at the Farallon Islands is short: from September to November.

If you want to know more about Great White Shark cage diving in San Francisco, you can visit my website Shark Diving Guide.

Shark diving at the Farallon's is a hit or miss deal, with no refunds. They can only chum with fish, no mammal blood. Your time would probably be better spent in Monterey diving Point Lobos or some of the other spectacular dive sites.

I would say you are on to something here :wink:.

Personally id be a happy camper if I never saw a Great White underwater with me.

I remember hearing somewhere that it's not a "dive" either - in that you're in snorkel gear and not completely submerged?

IIRC its snooba.

I guess its to keep people from running out of air when its time to change their wetsuits :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom