White Manta: 2014/15 Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are off on Black Manta to Raja Ampat for Christmas...so many of the mid range boats have now moved to Indonesia....Mermaid and now the Mantas. The diving in Indonesia is just so much better, the reefs are better protected and the Indonesia government does not allow hundreds of boats into its national parks every day like in the Similans. It is such a shame because Thailand is so amazing otherwise.
The reason for these boats boats moving is not the diving quality, I'll stay away from that discussion, but purely economics: in Thailand they only have 1/2 year of diving, whereas in Indonesia they can have a full year. 1/2 year in one and 1/2 in the other is because of local regulations not a practical option.

Just got back from another wonderful White Manta trip. After some bad weather earlier this season, things cleared up nicely for this voyage. Mostly good conditions the whole time. Whale Shark at Koh Tachai.

As usual, both the Thai boat crew and dive guides were superb.

I will really miss this boat.

I started diving the Andaman Sea area in the late 1980s, but didn't see a Manta Ray or Whale Shark until 2011. I've seen several of each in the years since. I have a friend who dove the Andaman frequently in the 1960s and 70s, but he's never seen a Whale Shark. Anecdotally, it seems that sightings of both species has increased in recent years.

Any ides of why, or am I imagining things?

From what I hear and see, manta sightings have not significantly changed. They are up and down, one year better than the other, one year a bit earlier than the other. Whale sharks sightings have decreased, especially at Similans and Surin national parks. I would say in the Hin Daeng area it has not changed so much, with sightings year round. 10 years and longer ago sightings at Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai were in February-March-April reasonably common, these days they unfortunately very much are an exception.

The White Manta will be operating in Thailand next season, yes. First trip starts 1st November, last one 2 - 6 April. A few changes - all en suite cabins will now the same price (there will be no distinction between VIP and deluxe) and the price is a little higher next season. And there are a few longer trips which will include Hin Daeng and Hin Muang as well as the Similans and Richelieu Rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom