White lithium grease in tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend who owns a dive shop did a visual on a alum tank he had in rental.

Let me get this right, your friend owns a dive shop, its his tank, in his rental pool and he doesnt know whats in it? Find a more professional dive shop or friend or both.

As for your second question
The compound in question FWIW is known as La-Co Slic Tite paste with PTFE its used specifically in Luxfer Aluminium cylinders for industrial compressed air (as opposed to diving breathing air nitrox oxygen etc)

Although you dont give any specific information or details I would not be surprised that the cylinder in question is old, purchased cheap, or second hand.

A small amount from a brush supplied in the lid of the tin wiped on one side of the neck 3/4 thread works well and is fine even with breathing air 30 years ago was used on all Luxfer aluminium diving cylinders supplied to dive shops with valves fitted from the distributor. Today cylinders are supplied bare with a plastic cap.

Either way a dive shop owner renting out cylinders should know whats in them no excuse.

Slic-tite Paste with PTFE

Let me get this right, your friend owns a dive shop, its his tank, in his rental pool and he doesnt know whats in it? Find a more professional dive shop or friend or both.

As for your second question
The compound in question FWIW is known as La-Co Slic Tite paste with PTFE its used specifically in Luxfer Aluminium cylinders for industrial compressed air (as opposed to diving breathing air nitrox oxygen etc)

Although you dont give any specific information or details I would not be surprised that the cylinder in question is old, purchased cheap, or second hand.

A small amount from a brush supplied in the lid of the tin wiped on one side of the neck 3/4 thread works well and is fine even with breathing air 30 years ago was used on all Luxfer aluminium diving cylinders supplied to dive shops with valves fitted from the distributor. Today cylinders are supplied bare with a plastic cap.

Either way a dive shop owner renting out cylinders should know whats in them no excuse.

Slic-tite Paste with PTFE

Agree about the clueless owner

But my understanding was the cylinder was 25% full of this mysterious white goo. If it's PFTE paste that's like $500 worth of sealant - seems unlikely.

Agree about the clueless owner

But my understanding was the cylinder was 25% full of this mysterious white goo. If it's PFTE paste that's like $500 worth of sealant - seems unlikely.

Heck I thought it was just grease on the threads

If its a cylinder back off rental with 25% filled with white goo
I would be looking at the rental slips,

It wasnt hired by a Walter White or a Jesse Pinkman by any chance LOL

My guess is that it is oil with emulsified water in it.

The only way a large amount of white greasy stuff got into it is from a compressor. From your description it sounds like too much for it to be an overexcited application of cristolube or the likes.

Put it on a metal rod and burn it, the oil will burn off and leave you with the active ingredient. If it is just from a compressor there will be only oil and water, if it is grease or pipe dope you'll be left with the ingredients clay moly, ect....

Back
Top Bottom