White film on LP hose... is this okay to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Received a "new" regulator that's been sitting in a warehouse since 2009 (determined from the serial number) and it has this white film on the LP hose. Just wondering if this is a sign that it was stored improperly/damaged and whether or not I should pursue a refund.

lphose.jpg

Think someone just got too "excited" before a dive. Should have used a moist towelette to cleanup with. Shouldn't be an issue, :D :D :D

If there are no signs of cracking (and I can't see any) and the hose is otherwside smooth. I would write it off to lack of use. Those materials can off gas and leach minute quanitities of material over time and if left unhandled thay accumulate on the surface.

I would wipe them down with silicone lubricant to see if they clean up.

Other than that all of my 2005 hoses are still in service after assorted conditions all more severe than tucked away in most warehouses.

Pete

Actually, when people are assembling regs, we spray a lubricant on the hoses to get hose protectors to slide easily down the hose. It looks like some excess "lube" is still on the hose.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it at all.

Awesome, thanks for the input. Just something I've never seen before (my regs were brand new last year and the rental gear I used previously has seen PLENTY of use)

Thanks all!

Think someone just got too "excited" before a dive. Should have used a moist towelette to cleanup with. Shouldn't be an issue, :D :D :D

Beat me to it.
Try washing the hose, that white film will probably come off (could be a number of things, none related to damage).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom