Whiskey Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone want to meet up and do a night dive off the beach to do the Whiskey Wreck? This will be Friday the 27th. Depending on if anyone wants to, this will determine if we will. We'd prefer a local or someone that dives it quite often. SBM? :wink:

6015405172 if anyone is interested or post here.

Michael

Gonna be busy Friday night, but I'm open Saturday morning or mid-day.

A few of us were setting around talking in the Keg today We were just eating lunch of course when a well know boat Capt. joined us at the table. He proceeded to tell us of the morning fishing trip just off West beach, while catching some bait they hooked up on a fish. At this point the old Capt. Face begun to crack a wide grin He began his tail by stating he had some office gentleman out of Birmingham you know the type the ones that has been everywhere and done everything he said.

Anyways they hook up on a fish just outside the second sandbar and zing went the spool the larger man of the crowd grabbed for the reel and fault the fish hard for over a half hour, at this point the Capt was thinking humm could it be a King?? The first man plumb tuckered out handed off the rod to another the seconded man fault the rod for another half hour or so till the leader broke water. At this point they all rushed to the side of the boat one holding a short gaff shoving the deck hand aside.

At this point the Capt. Started laughing so hard he was having a time trying to continue the tail. He said all at once he heard a scream such as a Lady breaking a nail then all five or so men falling on one another try to rush to the far side of the boat. A 7' to 8' Hammerhead was pulled up alongside of the boat, needless to say before the deck hand had a chance to release it the old boy broke off on its own.

The question to believe this tail or not one would have to decide for themself, But I tend to believe it for as he was telling this he nodded his head over his shoulder to a group of gentleman sitting at a close by table, with their heads hung in embarrassment

If you guys set up a time Saturday how about posting it if you don’t mine more tag a longs

There used to be a resident hammerhead on the Whiskey from what I hear - its a shame its not there anymore...

SBM,

NOW you tell us. Man, I'm not sure if I want to do the Whiskey any more! (Ok, I'm half kidding, but I'd pee my suit and maybe something else!)

Michael

SuPrBuGmAn:
There used to be a resident hammerhead on the Whiskey from what I hear - its a shame its not there anymore...
We used to see the ocasional hammerhead while fishing offshore from Perdido, back in the 60's. I haven't seen one since I came back in '91 - doesn't mean they aren't still around, just that I haven't seen one.
Hammerheads are quite shy, by the way, and dislike bubbles - I've never seen one on Scuba. I'd like to, though :)
Rick

SuPrBuGmAn:

About four or five years ago there was a four footer that resided there. It even was given a name but it slips my mind now. It was said to have been caught by a Snow Bird. I have never had the pleasure of seeing it other then snap shots. It was either Sub Sealevel or South Bound that had the shots hanging on the wall. I don't think I would mind to much diving around a hammerhead I think I would trust them more than the smaller Black tip even. But still I would respect their space.

Rick Murchison:
I've never seen one on Scuba. I'd like to, though :)
Rick

i'd like to see that as well. I bet those teeth are hell on the mouthpiece! They can't even get a Sea-Cure to mold to a hammerhead's mouth. They have to use the comfo-bite mouthpiece.:D

Yeah, I'd feel better around a hammerhead as well. I guess all of the shark films I've seen and everything has made me feel more "comfortable" around them (or if I were to be around them).

I'd prolly still do one of the two things I mentioned above at the Whiskey if I were to see one. That low viz... *chills*....

Michael

paulwall:
i'd like to see that as well. I bet those teeth are hell on the mouthpiece! They can't even get a Sea-Cure to mold to a hammerhead's mouth. They have to use the comfo-bite mouthpiece.:D

I use to love to watch a Great White I think it was on scuba every Saturday morning when I was younger Can you remember CPO Sharky I think it was called? Very cool show. See I tell many That I’m just to old to grow up now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom