Whiskey Wreck Report 9/10/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I made plans to meet up with BamaScubaKat, but completely screwed up the times, and denied myself 2 hours of sleep.

I left new Orleans at 6am to head over to Gulf Shores to hopefully dive the Whiskey wreck. For some reason, I thought the meet time was 9:30am, but reviewing BSK's thread today, I see it was actually 11am. Anyhow, I arrived in Gulf shores at 9am to find the triathlon had the Hwy 59/Hwy 180 intersection blocked. I headed west one block up and got to the parking area to find it nearly deserted. Since I had time, and only a 1/2 tank of air, I decided to snorkel out and tie in the dive flag to save an underwater hunt later.

The first thing I noticed is that the water was a greenish-brown, and that the waves were breaking about 100ft off the beach. 1-2ft rollers were coming in infrequently, and the sandbar was immediately adjacent to the beach. DownUnder had reported good vis earlier in the week, but I now dispute that claim. I could barely see 3ft down from the surface.

Anyway, I spent 30 minutes looking for this thing in limited vis. I could hear the clicks of a nearby dolphin pod and was rewarded by a tail slap after surfacing once. The mammals were only a few yards away, but I didn't know until I surfaced. As 9:30 rolled around, I exited the water to check on BSK's status. She was still in Robertsdale, so I told her the situation and we decided it was still worth a try. I headed back out in snorkel gear to try to tie in again.

On the second trip, I noticed some still spots on the water's surface behind the biggest rollers. This was an indication of upwelling from the water passing over the wreck and causing something like a boil on the surface. I lined up the largest of these with some markings on the beach and headed back in.

This time, I found the wreck pretty quickly. There was a slight offshore and west push, that moved me from my surface dive spot. I found a pair of pipes poking up from the sand at least 3'. It seemed I was diving deeper than I had in August, too. After tying off and making a couple of more exploration plunges, I headed back to the beach. (Side note, someone was watching me from the beach, but didn't see my final surfacing and freaked out that I was lying on the bottom).

BSK showed up, and we geared up and discussed the conditions, experience, and equipment before heading back to the beach. I had tied in S of the main part of the wreck, and told her about the offshore and westward push. We swam out on the surface and regrouped near the flag. I dived down to let a little more line out, as the tide had risen a bit, and the flag was a little restricted.

We got together and descended, and I headed N to the wreck. And lost BSK almost immediately. Resurfaced, regrouped and descended again. She stayed with me as we approached the wreck from the S, swam West on the N side to the break, and returned on the S Side of the wreck exploring in 1-2' vis how much was exposed. I lost her again, shortly after showing her a snail shell as big as my palm. I actually swam under a deck beam and backed out, as I didn't want her to follow me under any structure. When I couldn't find her after a minute, I resurfaced and we regrouped and decided to abort the rest of the dive.

The surge was strong, once sweeping me over the wreck from S to N and bouncing the two of us together quite often. Vis was 1-2 ft, and it was gloomy under water. I was sans wetsuit, and saw 0 jellyfish. Max depth was 19ft! (Yes nearly 20') for a dive lasting about 20 minutes. We swam back to the beach, and debriefed in the parking lot.

Might want to hit this again in a couple of weeks if the visibility improves. I doubt the rudder is exposed, but there is lots of new debris to see S of the wreck. The S side is still pretty silted in, but the N side is undercut, and that's where I think I found the 19'. Scared one flounder, saw a school of juvenile spadefish, lots of blennies. I did find one circular piece of Iron or concrete while snorkling but 20' is at the limit of my abilities and I couldn't find any place to tie in the flag.

Headed to the condo to take a shower and get some lunch. Keep the vis reports posted for the next couple of weeks, and let's hit this again.

I wondered if you had gotten the times mixed up. Hope you weren't too mad at me when you thought I was late. :D

Great dive report! I haven't yet mastered the eloquent dive reports you guys seem to write so I was hoping you would report. It was great meeting you and a beautiful day but that viz was horrible! Down Under had a facebook post to dive Sunday - it will be interesting to hear what kind of viz they report.

I would love to try again, just let me know when you're heading this way. It looked like there would be all kinds of things to see if only we could have seen further than the length to our hands!

By the way - how'd your boat dive Sunday go?

Coming up in a few minutes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Too bad your visibility was so poor. A guy I know on flickr (photo site) said the vis at the Panama City jetty was 20-30 ft. when he was snorkeling there on Saturday, which seems pretty good to me when you consider the tropical storm was just several days previous.

Wow Paul, that sounds worse than when Doccarl and I dove with you a year ago. I would like to go see it especially since it sounds like a good chunk of the wreck got uncovered. I'm planning on doing a couple of shore dives in Panama City, FL next sat maybe a sunday whiskey trip can be pulled together. :D

Wow Paul, that sounds worse than when Doccarl and I dove with you a year ago. I would like to go see it especially since it sounds like a good chunk of the wreck got uncovered. I'm planning on doing a couple of shore dives in Panama City, FL next sat maybe a sunday whiskey trip can be pulled together. :D

I would be up for trying the Whiskey again sunday if you want to. It can't possibly be any worse viz than last saturday :shakehead:

I would be up for trying the Whiskey again sunday if you want to. It can't possibly be any worse viz than last saturday :shakehead:

I definitely would like to. I'm working this weekend but next sat I would like to do st. andrews if your interested in that too. I'm curious to see how much of the whiskey has been uncovered.

I definitely would like to. I'm working this weekend but next sat I would like to do st. andrews if your interested in that too. I'm curious to see how much of the whiskey has been uncovered.

Sorry - didn't pay attention to your post when you said "next" weekend. I'd still be interested. I'm not sure about St. Andrews, I'll let you know. I haven't been there yet.

As far as how much of the Whiskey is uncovered - I couldn't tell you :D The viz was really THAT bad!

Sorry - didn't pay attention to your post when you said "next" weekend. I'd still be interested. I'm not sure about St. Andrews, I'll let you know. I haven't been there yet.

As far as how much of the Whiskey is uncovered - I couldn't tell you :D The viz was really THAT bad!

About 60-70' linearly, and about 1-2'-6-7' vertically. More exposed on the north side than the south. More exposed on the west end than the east. Watch out for that surge!

Further South, there is more broken-off structure exposed than I have seen before. It either washed off of the wreck, or is from some other source.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Paul, if I get ALabound again anytime soon, I plan to hit up the Whiskey.

Maybe hit up Paul's Shrimpboat too :D

Back
Top Bottom