Whiskey Wreck like you've never seen it, or Get your A$$ to Gulf Shores!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Drove over to Gulf shores from Perdido Key this afternoon to check out conditions at the Whiskey Wreck since Isaac. Passing over the perdido pass bridge earlier in the day showed clear, calm water near the beach, and the wreck was calling.

I splashed a little before 3:30 pm after verifying the stupid parasail vendor has put the approach lane right over the bulk of the east end of the wreck. I found the elusive western portion easily in the 10-15' visibility. Low tide was at 12:03pm, so there was barely 10' of water over this portion. I've tried many times to find this part, and today I practically fell right on it. The exposed section is easily 30'x40' and a large cylinder that must be a mast lay across it. Bits and pieces of the wreck lie scattered around in the sand. The north side of the hull is at least 4' exposed and much of the south hull is peeking out of the sand. Parts are deeply undercut and snapper and grunts swim in and out. There is even a swim-through.

After checking this out for 20 mins or so, I headed over to the more familiar eastern or main part of the wreck. The north side is exposed from the break to the stern. The rudder is not currently exposed, but I bet it was a week or so ago. This part is squarely between the lane markers for the parasail boat, but they weren't running this afternoon. One can clearly see both walls of the ship and the part that I call the "cabin" can probably be entered now. The north side is exposed 4-5' and much of the south side is also exposed. More debris is seen to the south.

I have never seen so much of this ship uncovered. I believe there is more exposed now than in 2006. Check it out now before it covers again. I may hit it in the morning with my other LP72....Oh, water temps were about 76, no surge, 1' swells, E wind.

I'll bet the Miami and Paul's shrimpboat are also uncovered.

SUPRBUGMAN - Where are you?????

Omg I may have to do some afternoon visits over there this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't checked SB in awhile, went home for Thanksgiving and the gulf looked awesome. Didn't bring dive gear though :( did stop by Down Under and spoke with Bryan a bit, he said the same thing about the Whiskey. They also put some "No boating" markers around the wreck so the jet ski biz wouldn't run their lane through the wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom