Whiskey Wreck Dive Report 9-25-2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tessunderwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, for all of you people chomping at the bit to hear what conditions were like..... I met up with Bamascuba cat at 7am and we headed down to Bahama Bob's. We got there at about 8:15, geared up and were in the water in half an hour. Surface conditions looked good and from the surface, you could see the bottom. We descended after finding the wreck pretty easily due to about 20 feet of viz. The south portion of the wreck has been significantly exposed thanks to the tropical storm. The deepest I got was 16 feet, there are some lateral beam looking structures coming off the south side of the wreck that have roughly 3 feet of clearance underneath them. One portion of the wreck is about 2 feet or so from the surface and solid structure all the way down to 16 feet at the bottom. There is some burlap and heavy rope that have been exposed along with a pretty vast debris field. We found a blue crab in what looked like a steam pipe, that on our second pass found out was dead. Earlier I had found an octopus and decided to give him a snack. This is one of those times I wish I had invested in a video system last year. We took the freshly deceased crab to the octopus with a small school of trigger fish following us. I broke off various small pieces that bamascuba cat used to feed the triggers. Meanwhile, the octopus had come out of his den and was eyeing the crab in my hands very intently. As soon as I dropped the crab, he was on it and proudly dragged it back in his hole. There are also a handful of dinnerplate size flounder hanging out, so bring your spears! We did a 55 minute dive with visibility dropping to about 10 feet during our second pass around the structure and surge picking up just slightly. Very good dive with probably some of the best conditions for that site with lots of new stuff to see.

It really was good viz for the Whiskey. I'd guess about 20' up till the last 10 minutes of our dive then it started going downhill pretty quick. Having dove it 2 weeks earlier with Paul and viz at 1-2' this was such a bonus! There was also very little current so we weren't getting slammed into the wreck or each other, just a very peaceful dive. I'm glad Tess wrote up the report because I have no idea what the whiskey was suppose to look like so didn't think I could describe to you veterans what changes there were.
I did see a fish at the end of our dive that is bugging me to know what it was. Tess didn't see it. We were on the outside of the hull and even though she was right next to me by the time I nudged her it was gone. OK - It came out of nowhere right towards us so my view was from the head first. It was really quick and got to about 15' from us and seemed to stop like "what the hell is that" when it saw us then just a quick did a 90 degree turn and was gone. My first thought was that it was a barracuda, but then I looked online at some pictures and maybe it was a lady fish???? Any ideas? It was torpedo shaped like the cuda but the head didn't look as pointy (although it wasn't a blunt head either). It was about 2-3 feet long. :idk:

It really was good viz for the Whiskey. I'd guess about 20' up till the last 10 minutes of our dive then it started going downhill pretty quick. Having dove it 2 weeks earlier with Paul and viz at 1-2' this was such a bonus! There was also very little current so we weren't getting slammed into the wreck or each other, just a very peaceful dive. I'm glad Tess wrote up the report because I have no idea what the whiskey was suppose to look like so didn't think I could describe to you veterans what changes there were.
I did see a fish at the end of our dive that is bugging me to know what it was. Tess didn't see it. We were on the outside of the hull and even though she was right next to me by the time I nudged her it was gone. OK - It came out of nowhere right towards us so my view was from the head first. It was really quick and got to about 15' from us and seemed to stop like "what the hell is that" when it saw us then just a quick did a 90 degree turn and was gone. My first thought was that it was a barracuda, but then I looked online at some pictures and maybe it was a lady fish???? Any ideas? It was torpedo shaped like the cuda but the head didn't look as pointy (although it wasn't a blunt head either). It was about 2-3 feet long. :idk:

It sounds like it could be a ladyfish. I have found them to be quite common when I snorkel around the Destin jetties. They are very skittish, and when you see them it's usually just for a brief time because they are always on the move. Whenever I try to move closer for a photo they always swim away before I can get close. Many times they cruise around over sandy areas, so I don't think they are particularly associated with structure. Two feet sounds about the right size for these fish - three feet would be a really big one.

However, it's always hard to identify a fish from someone's verbal description.

Could also be a small cobia, shark, or remora?

Could also be a small cobia, shark, or remora?

Looking at pictures it could be a cobia - are those common here? Really don't think it was a shark or remora. But the cobia pictures are really really close. Thanks!!

Yes, cobia are pretty common in along the beaches in the Gulf :) I've seen them on the Whiskey on several occassions.

Paul Humann links the common name Lady Fish to the Bonefish... Page 67 of the third edition...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom