Whiskey Wreck 9-13-7 Night Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Shagman and Halftime this afternoon at Bahama Bobs for our 6:30 meet time. We all BS'd for atleast an hour waiting for the sun to cruise on down to the horizon a bit and talked spearfishing. It would be both of my buddies first go around at polespearing flounder. Earlier in the day, I was working in Perdido Key and the water looked nice and clear with shin high waves. Around mid-day storms started to build and moved through the area and we were all worried the water might not be in as good of condition. The Gods smiled upon us as we made our way out though. Glassy gulf with small shin, knee high sets rolling in. Visibility off the beach was crap though, 1-3', with lots of algae and seaweed. We decided to try it anyway. We could see showers forming around us and off in the distance, but no lightning.

Water is warm, toasty 86F, as we headed south. Visibility stayed quite low until we were no more than 50' from the wreck, where it cleared to 5-8', which was plenty enough. Lots of fish out. The typical pinfish, pigfish, spadefish, filefish, searobins, catfish, southern rays, electric skates, and smooth butterfly rays. Oh, and flounder, tons of em were out. I took the first count off my polespear 14 minutes into the dive and found I had already taken 11 fish. I simply quit shooting them after 20 were impaled on the end of my polespear. The rest of the time, I simply enjoyed the dive and occassionally pointed out fish to Shagman and Halftime. Both of them came out very well for their first spearfishing excursion. Shagman pulled 11 off the wreck, and Halftime took 18. The wreck itself is continuing to cover more and more. The portside hull is buried now, and more of the interior of the wreck is getting covered. The starboard outside is still very much exposed. Midway through the dive, there was a flash of light, then we heard rain, and then lots and lots of lightning commenced above, sending filtered green flashes around us. We could hear the rain loudly on the surface and even heard the occassional close lightning strike. It would have done us no good(probably just the opposite) to exit the water, so we just waited it out underneath. It payed off as the storm blew over quickly. I've always enjoyed the sound of rain while diving, but I could do without the lightning. Regardless, we had a great dive with a max depth of 15' for a total divetime of 70 minutes.

We attempted to get a bit to eat. Bahama Bobs had already shut down and Hooters was also closed. I guess offseason hours are in effect :/ As always, it was a great dive and I couldn't have asked for better company.

Congrats on the fish guys!

Shagman's either gonna post some pics, or email them to me so I can post em. :crafty: We ended with a total of 49 fish over this single dive!

Nice report. Congrats polespearing pros.

OK, ok, I'm late, but here's some pics :)

Had a great time!!

IMG_4088-small.JPG

IMG_4087-small.JPG

IMG_4086-small.JPG

IMG_4083-small.JPG

IMG_4081-small.JPG

IMG_4080-small.JPG

IMG_4078-small.JPG

Nice dive report guys! I'll show these to the house commander and maybe she will change her mind from Seaside to Gulf Shores in October. Mat, when do the start moving off the wreck?
Howard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom