Whiskey Wreck 4-7-7 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Patrick and I headed out to Gulf Shores this morning a bit before 12(noon). I had originally wanted to go earlier, but it took a considerable amount of time to talk my buddy into diving in the 'cold'. Air temps when we got out there were in the upper 40sF. The sun was out, but a brisk north wind was a bit annoying. The surf was absolutely flat and the water was incredibly clear, probably 25' visibility near the beach, dropping to around 20' at the wreck - might as well have been a mile of vis considering it was the Whiskey Wreck. No surf, no surge, and no current. Water temperatures in the upper 60F, dropped a few degrees after the past few cold nights.

The sheepshead seem to have moved out, for the most part, from the Whiskey. I came up on a few very small ones and one medium sized one on part of the some of the western most exposed areas. We saw quite a few flatties, lots of pinfish, pigfish, damsels, blennies, ect. A small trigger fish has made its home on the Whiskey, I've seen it on the last couple dives onsite. I hadn't planned on taking any fish, so didn't bring a pole or stringer. Spotted several small and medium sized flounder, pointed them out to a buddy and left them alone. Then I came upon a bigger flatty, which ended up being far too trusting - so it got a knife. Went ahead and knifed five other flounder to bring my catch to 6. I strung them to my flag - LOL. Cumbersome, but it worked. I'll have a pic later. Max depth of 16' for a dive lasting 64 minutes.

Post dive libations and debriefing done at Hooters.

I'm not going to mess with it but how big was the trigger? Man it would be nice to see the wreck load up with them.

Nice report

Mat,
Nice report. Too busy this wekend to dive. You know, got to work for a livin.
Howard

tom wicker:
I'm not going to mess with it but how big was the trigger?

Maybe 5"s long, nothing worth shooting, just something fun to look at.

As usual, nice report Matt.

Question, how big is Foley? I'm looking for a new place to live! Far enough from the water where my wife is happy during hurricane season :D And close enough to the water to where it's not a big drive to go diving!

How big is it?

Its got a mall, a walmart, all the typical chain restraunts, but its not big enough for a Hooters.

In actual physical size? *shrugs* Look at a map :p

First of all Matt, you were my hero for diving yesterday in the freezing cold. It's too cold for me to mow my yard, :shakehead way to cold to dive.

Then you defined the size of the city of Foley by the lack of a Hooters? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

You are so special!:coffee:

Donna and BugMan

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz you two....you're gonna have to stop meeting like this!! People will begin to talk!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom