Whining sound from filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Björn Jakobsson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,
I have a L&W 230 silent in my garage at home. It has been running well for approx 30 hours now but it does give away a whining sound when reaching 180+ bar. It feels random since it is not always doing it, just sometimes.

I can from time to time stop the sound by closing the valve before the filling panel, so the compressor is only building pressure inside itself, without filling. I then open the valve slowly, the sound is usually not coming back and I can continue to fill, but sometimes it comes back.

I have most likely located the sound from the outside mounted filter. Any ideas why, and how to prevent it?

Sometimes the priority valve will make that sound as the system fills up. Which makes me think you need to rebuild your priority valve. But I've certainly been wrong before. I've had line valves whine like that, but usually when they are bleeding down, not filling up. Maybe @iain/hsm can help.

@Wookie It sure makes the same whining noice when I connect to new cylinders and the pressure drops quickly. It has been doing this for several hours, should one really have to replace the valve that quickly?

@tbone1004 Is there a OPV next to the filter?

I gotta say, I've never heard a compressor that doesn't make that noise when you hook up to a new cylinder. I know exactly the one you're talking about.

Don't worry about it.

@Wookie No, same here, but this is happening while filling and does not stop, so it is at least very annoying

@Wookie No, same here, but this is happening while filling and does not stop, so it is at least very annoying
And your fill rate is OK? Not losing air through a leak somewhere? I'd still say it's either a priority valve or a line valve.

What pressure is the priority valve set for? I usually set mine at 120 bar or so.

When squealing, place your hand on the priority valve and on the line valve. Can you feel the vibration?

@Björn Jakobsson it depends on the compressor, but I have OPV's on each of the three stages, and one right after the PMV on mine
And depending on your filtration system, you may have a OPV on your final separator, you may have one next to the priority valve (PMV), you may have an autodrain valve hung up (but I don't think so), Without pictures, this post is worthless. :)

I tried to search in the operations manual for the priority valve but got nada, so I cannot really say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom