Which would you choose-Go Pro 7 or Olympus TG5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm certainly not an underwater pro. Everything I've done to this point is gopro, and it's "OK" but you will outgrow it QUICKLY. I own 6 different go pro setups and absolutely love them and use them for motorsports and a slew of other things. That said, for underwater they are rather limited in my opinion. If you're not in a hurry, the TG6 seems a worthy upgrade! I just watched the backscatter review that uncfnp posted and I'm sold on it. Old housing and accessories will work, and the camera itself is relatively affordable. Unfortunately for me, I just pulled the trigger on a TG5 that I haven't even used yet and will continue to enjoy it for a while longer. Taking it to Roatan in a few weeks.

Few GoPro pics because photo threads are always better with pics.

IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg

The biggest negative of the TG5/6 is the need for that wide angle lens, which alone can cost more than a Gopro.

I wanted my cake and eat it too so I put my camera for stills and micro on my gopro tray with video lights then Eric made me an aluminum crossbar that spans the light arms to mount my gopro.

5AD7D90F-4D1B-449C-8C99-3AA4DEF84BC8.jpeg
155CAC4D-3F35-43A1-9159-4A33B7B20520.jpeg

Mehhh.... For the ultra wide, sure it's a bit spendy but it is certainly not "needed" and the air lens is amazing, gives the best of both worlds and is priced right! Uncfnp, totally stealing that idea!!! RAD setup!!!

Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Air Lens Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Sweet! The whole setup will still come in double the Gopro cost but offers much better photo capabilities. I might get a TG6 setup later this summer. But it will be a tough call when for a bit more I can get a compact 1" sensor like an RX 100 VI or Lumix LX-10.

Check out the Lumix LX100 II as well, it has an even bigger sensor than the 1" models as it's a 4/3rds sensor. Granted it doesn't use the whole of the sensor, but it is still a big step up from the smaller ones!

Panasonic LX100 II Underwater Camera Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

Are you using this? When I narrowed down to the two I mentioned a few months ago, that was because the LX100 was older technology. The LX 100 II is about $300 more than the LX10 with similar specs. The Ikelite housing for the LX100 II is another $300 more than the one for LX10. So that's $600 more for very slight difference that I see.

I could go with the GH5 for an even better camera. Quality versus cost. Where does one draw the line? #FirstWorldProblems

Are you using this? When I narrowed down to the two I mentioned a few months ago, that was because the LX100 was older technology. The LX 100 II is about $300 more than the LX10 with similar specs. The Ikelite housing for the LX100 II is another $300 more than the one for LX10. So that's $600 more for very slight difference that I see.

I could go with the GH5 for an even better camera. Quality versus cost. Where does one draw the line? #FirstWorldProblems

I think you'd have to draw the line no farther than a Red DSMC2 as a recreational photographer/videographer.

As FezUSA stated, the LX100 series uses a micro four thirds sensor, which provides superior image quality and greater dynamic range over the 1” sensor used in the LX10. It has effectively the same guts as a GH4 in a point and shoot format with a fixed lens and at half the cost. I have been using an original LX100 in an Ikelite housing for the past two years and am very happy with it.

Thank
If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet, look at this new information from Backscatter...

Thanks!!!!!!! I did get the TG-5 and just got back from Fiji. I LOVED it!!! Unfortunately the camera flooded on the second snorkel stop. I didn't get a chance to take it diving :( So I may be starting all over. I am so bummed! I didn't use the underwater case since I was just snorkeling. Everything was locked tight but it still flooded. Big mistake to not use the case. I guess I will have to go back!!!!!!!!

Suzzzzzz:clearmask:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom