which weight belt for you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Hi I'm taking my class in a month. I have a soft weight belt. now I went to my LDS and they said a web belt with weights would be better for first time divers instead of the soft.
What do you use. and why

Why weight integrated, of course! It's a bit of a drag for removal and replacement, but it's also one less thing hanging off my body and for me to forget.

Cheers!

Rachel

I agree.

I have integrated weight belt with Lead Shot weight bags.

20 up front 4 in the back.. Works like a charm, easily removed/replaced. Less to carry around/take off after diving.

All and all much more comfortable diving.

Try both though.. Its not for everyone.. See if they will rent you a integrated system and see what you think. After all, its about YOUR comfort level.. These are just our opinions =)

Happy diving.

Pauly

Quote is too easy.. Master Chief Sunday from Men of Honor giving his little speech about the Navy Diver :wink:

:mean:
Weight integrated, the only way to go.

Rich :mean:

Have you asked the LDS why they think regular weight belts are better? Seems kind of odd to me.

I assume you have the sort of belt where you place the weights in neoprene pockets. I've never used one (I went from a regular belt to a weight-integrated BC), but from what I've seen, they make it easier to add and remove weights -- something you'll probably need to do during your buoyancy check. Also, you might be (slightly) less likely to damage the bottom of the pool if you drop your belt (not that you should, but...).

I'd go back to the shop and ask a few more questions. Let us know what they say, maybe we're all missing something important.

Zept

I think your LDS may be full of ****...
(note: '****' is an Australian term, approximately analogous to the politically correct American; 'sh*t')

The primary functions of a weight system is it has enough weight to counter the boyancy of the rest of your gear, and that it does not fall off inadvertantly. (Use a good buckle - I believe all plastic buckles slip, so use only metal)

Secondary charactistics, in descenting order of importance;
Easy to put on
comfortable to wear
Can adjust total weight as requirements change
Able to be ditched in an emergency
Colour co-ordinated with the rest of your gear
Cheap

I own both a pouched belt, and a traditional hard weight belt. I use the hard weight belt because my GF claimed the softer belt (as it is significantly more comfortable), and she would cause me more pain that the hard weight belt does...

FWIW, I prefer a seperate weight belt because I take my BC off underwater from time to time. With integrated weights, this would result in my BC sinking, while I went polaris (it's cold here, I wear either a 7mm or drysuit). I like for both me and my BC to be slightly negative at depth if we are seperated...

Mike

I use a weight integrated BC plus a Scubapro weight belt with 4 pockets with velcro fasteners. Each pocket will take 2 standard weights. I divide the weights up between the Bc and the belt.

I agree with Se7en. Can't think why anyone would recommend a webbed belt with the weights strung along it to a soft belt.

Regards

Originally posted by jonnythan
Quote is too easy.. Master Chief Sunday from Men of Honor giving his little speech about the Navy Diver :wink:

Yeah I knew it was going to be easy.. =) I just like that part of the script.. I wonder if its a hollywood creation, or quoted similar to the real thing that happend to Carl Brashear?

OK, someone always has to be the troublemaker....

I just switched from integrated weights to a hard weight belt. Not saying you should go this way, but so far it is working for me. I have a Transpak II and had the weight puoches, but they seem to always be in the way. Diving with a Steel 120 and a drysuit I need 20# to get down. The hard weights feel nice and secure and are out of the way. The first couple of dives the weights tended to slip a bit, but I think I have that worked out and the last two dives they didn't move at all.

OK< that was just my $0.02...

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom