Which Valves types is standard in Asia ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Which Valve type is most prominant in ASIA (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand & Australia ) ??

Planning to buy a regulator 1st and 2nd stage soon

DIN valve or YOKE or J-Valve or K-Valve ??

ALso wehre do we get our regulators service in East Malaysia ??? Are they technical professional in the dive shop that is competent there ??

Thank You

Dxtreme
I live in Thailand most of the shops have standard yoke. However there are a few shops that do have the din valves. You might considering getting the din fitting on the 1st stage and get a standard yoke adaptor. This way you would not have to worry when you go to different shops. I myself have all din fitting, they seem much safer to use for the type of diving I do.
I can not help you out about getting your equipment service, I have not been down there in quite awhile.

Bruce

Do you take your own tank to Thailand ??

Can we fly in an airline with scuba tank filled ?? or should we empty the tank to a certain pressure ???? Can we even fly with them ??

Asia is big... I have seen mainly yokes, sometimes DIN at German-owned dive shops. Only yokes in Japan.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
Do you take your own tank to Thailand ??

Can we fly in an airline with scuba tank filled ?? or should we empty the tank to a certain pressure ???? Can we even fly with them ??

Flying with a tank at any pressure besides ambient pressure is a big no no.

Anyway, tanks are mainly 99% A-clamp. The few DIN tanks I've seen are usually hooked up to form doubles. My advise is that if you are only going to go diving in Asia, then stick to the A-clamp, the DIN with Adaptor combo has more failure points and sticks the 1st stage too far out and often hits the back of the head. Or better yet, get both and switch them out when you need it.

The overwhelming majority of shops and liveaboard ships use yokes and in 15+ trips to Thailand, Australia, Indonesia, PNG, etc it is very rare that you see a DIN tank.

If you buy a DIN valve just buy an adapter with it.

As for your query, I've been diving in Australia, Thailand. Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, and Palau, and all these places were yoke K-valves.

Mainly are K valves for A Clamp 1st stage.

If you plan to use high pressure tanks (above 200bar/3000psi), then the din becomes useful.

I also noticed some of the technical divers seem to like the DIN stuff.

If you are not into any of the above, then no point.

In terms of regulator servicing, East Malaysia is very big!
Anyway, if in:
Kota Kinabalu, the Borneo Divers guys seem very knowledgeable.
Labuan, the Borneo Divers guys seem very knowledgeable.
Miri, the shop is Tropical Dives, operates out of Rihga Royal, Seridan Mulu.

If you are in Kuching, Sandakan areas, sorry never been there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom