Which underwater camera to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimargo35

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to diving and to underwater photography.

Can anyone suggest a simple (not too expensive) underwater digital camera?

Do the "bags" that I see being sold on eBay really work?

Any suggestions or thoughts for this new guy would be appreciated.

We leave in a week for Cancun.

Only you can define "not too expensive". You can get a cheap camera for $250 and a cheap housing for $180. You can pick up used for half of that. Get extra batteries, if you plan to use it on most dives.

No to the bags.

If you are really "new to diving," I would concentrate on that rather than photography.

I agree that in the beginning, until your diving skills are more embedded, uw photography can be a little tricky.

That said, Backscatter have a really good annual Point&Shoot awards feature, which you can read here.

I was asked by a friend to do a bit of research on good cheaper models for uw photography recently and thought that the Canon SD940 and Sea&Sea1200HD were quite interesting. My friend was looking for a point and shoot camera that would produce good results underwater, be easy to use and that could shoot good quality video.

I'd hasten to add that I haven't used either though, but they look like they are pretty good based on the features and reviews.

I used to know how to answer this question back when the Canon A570 was still being made---but not anymore.......A G10 or 11---maybe??.....

The bags may "work" as far as keeping your camera dry to the rated depth, but actually operating the camera through the bag at any depth at all is another matter.

Back
Top Bottom