which type of SMB do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an oral inflate SMB, it works well but I wanted to try one of the ones with the open bottom to inflate with the regulator. I've heard the air will just rush back out once it hits the surface, will it still do this if you hold it below the surface slightly? Not sure how effectively I could do that. I want to launch it at depth off a spool.

Wondering if I can DIY something on the bottom so that after inflating it, it would seal up either completely or at least partially so it won't deflate as quickly. It's also been reccomended to me to use a small weight on the bottom, which I'll do. I know some have the option to attached your LP hose and inflate that way, but that seems like a hassle and I've usually got a spear and lobster snare in my hands already so that wouldn't work very well for me. Same problem with the oral inflate and I just find it kind of slow. I guess I just want to try new things and want some advice. thanks!

My first DSMB was open ended. to stop it losing air on the surface I attached a fishing weight to the open end. I now use a self-sealing one.

I often carry two SMBs. A Halcyon 3.3’ attached to a small finger spool in a pocket on my waist, and a 5’ Dive Rite stowed in a sleeve attached to the bottom of my Transpac. I fill the Halcyon orally, and the Dive Rite off my left exhaust tee using a quick exhale breath or two from depth through the duckbill opening on the bottom. I use a Manta Jr reel with the Dive Rite since it is super easy to use and has enough drag not to create a birds nest of line when it shoots up at high speed.

Some of this is old news to the more experienced, but it may also keep folks from buying twice.

A "Safety Sausage" and DSMB or Delayed Surface Marker Buoy aren't the same thing. A "Sausage" does not need an OPV, and may not have one. These are intended to be orally inflated at the surface only.

Any Marker intended to be launched at depth needs an OPV as gas expands as the marker rises in the water column.

DSMB's can be filled at the surface, but a sausage with no OPV can't be launched at depth.

In addition a "Lift Bag" which is often used as a DSMB will typically have the OPV located at the top of the bag, which allows the buoyancy of the bag to be controlled when used to lift things. The OPV in a tubular marker is almost always in the bottom of the bag making them a poor choice for lifting.

My personal preference for DSMB are these https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85

The design allows for a small compact carry size, and ease of inflation as the tapered design requires very little gas. They also stand up easily because most of the mass is in the base of the bag. Keeping these upright does not require that 1/2 the bag be pulled under water. SOLAS Tape is sewn to the top.

Tobin

Have you ever considered making a larger version of that SMB Tobin? A six footer would be awesome in my opinion, and it wouldn’t take too much air to fill since it is tapered. My 3.3 Halcyon is my “always carry” SMB, and I also carry it as a backup in case I ever have to let my DR 5’ go from depth if the reel jams on “planned SMB deployment” dives.

Have you ever considered making a larger version of that SMB Tobin? A six footer would be awesome in my opinion, and it wouldn’t take too much air to fill since it is tapered. My 3.3 Halcyon is my “always carry” SMB, and I also carry it as a backup in case I ever have to let my DR 5’ go from depth if the reel jams on “planned SMB deployment” dives.

We have considered it, but with larger sizes you loose most of the advantages of the 1 meter bag we now offer. People often argue that a 1 meter bag is too short, but a 1/2 filled 2 meter bag that requires ~30-40% of it be underwater in order for it to stand up is not much of a solution either.....

Tobin

Had a 3 or 4 ft surface inflate. Then I had to do a drifting safety stop and came up in 4-5 seas. Felt pretty invisible while I inflated it on the surface. I now have a 6 ft smb and a reel that I can launch from depth so that boat knows where I am while I do my safety stop and I am more visible.

Also de one from AP. They are open, but self sealing and remain inflated at the surface. Good value when compared to similar ones.

I have an el cheapo oral inflate without an OPV. I bought another one with an OPV that I have in my bag as a backup. Playing around I have launched el cheapo from around 60' with a full breath of air in it, to see if I could explode it. multiple attempts later no explosions but it is inflated tighter than an drum on the surface and very handy to signal the boat with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom