which tanks steel ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need help deciding which tanks, I do wreck diving mainly, so longer bottom time is some of reason.
I have been diving older genesis HP100. They are great.
However, I want to get me two more tanks and could use more air.
With that said would the X-Series Steel SCUBA Tanks sold at diverite express.
Would you recommend the X7 series or the X8 series Tanks and why?

With them, all rated at 3442 seems do not matter any more.
I look and seem the more I try to find the answer the less I find.
I dive dry suit DUI TLS350
steel B/P with halcyon Pioner 36

It may depend on whether your needs would be served by longer or fatter bottles. The X8 is a monster but I'm sure many divers like them. Alternately, a stretch version of the 100- X7 would hold more air and possibly not be any longer than the old standard, the steel 72 lp cylinder or an aluminum S80.

what I can see it don't matter any more with all being 3442 rated .
matter of size the big 8 inch lp or 7.25 hp .
I am trying to find info on weight shifts ect . think would like to go above hp100 but wonder about all that weight climbing out of ocean onto boat.

First post, hi everyone,
I dive exclusively 120 cf tanks. I am 5'11" and I've been diving the Faber 120 cf tanks with a 3180+ rating and a working pressure of 3445. I have 2 single and a set of doubles. They hold alot of gas but they are heavy, 61 lbs full. So getting on the boat is a challange with the doubles. Also they require no weight belt when doubled. Also your height is a consideration. My head hits the isolator valve when I tilt my head back and the tank boot rests on my leg a bit. I'm quite adjusted to them as a single tank and I dive them dry with a 45cf low pressure steel pony with 12 lbs weight, 5 in each pouch and 2 in the left trim pocket to offset the pony.
But for doubles you may choose something lighter. I found a set of older PST 3500 psi tanks at a good price so I bought them. They have 7/8 neck threads that use the Genesis valves and isolator. I just picked up a second set, Sherwood, yesterday to make 2 sets, I'm dropping them off today for hydro, etc. If they pass I've start looking for a genesis isolator and valves. They weigh 48 lbs full each! So I'll need weights.
As far as new tanks, the Worthington and Faber 120 3445 tanks with the 3/4 standard neck look good, I know a couple of guys diving them. They have the grey finish and weigh 51 lbs or so full. The book never lists a full weight for tanks, so I included my findings here. I have no experience with low pressure or 8" tanks. The double 120's will be on NJ craigslist soon. I have 2 3500 psi 100 cf tanks I got in the same lot, up on NJ craigslist, now.
Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom