Which stops to dive in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

claymore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel. I know that all of these places are good diving locals but I can only dive in two of them. My wife is a non-diver and would not appreciate being left on her own in three or four of the stops, and I cant blame her.

I am new to diving, two dives past certification, so I am not ready for difficult or deep dives.

My question is which stops have the most for my wife to do while I'm diving, she loves to shop but also likes botanical gardens ect. and would be the best fit for a new diver.

Thanks claymore

I see this thread has moved to a better section.

Also, check the scuba section of cruisecritic. Additionally, you can learn a lot about the specific islands in the Ports of Call section.

I'd pick Cozumel go with a private operator like Christi's Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico and plan to meet your wife at the beach club they stop at for the SI. You'd have 1 1/2 hours together.

Do the stingray city tour, not the ship's crowded excursion, with your wife, then do a shore dive at Eden Rock in the afternoon. She can snorkel there while you dive.

Belize, do something together. Lot of choices there.

Roatan, you get to dive again.

:shakehead: Hence why I won't date non-divers. You should just tell your wife to get certified!

I dove in Belize and Cozumel in September and preferred Belize to Cozumel personally. However, I was also told that Belize is not the safest island...and probably not one your wife should explore alone. My mom went to a nice little island off of Belize, within site of the cruise ship. Since it was a secluded tiny island (just for the cruise shippers I believe) it was safe. OTOH, be aware that the number one excursion in Belize is the zipline through the rain forest then cave tubing. Part of me really wanted to do that, but diving won out (as usual). If you wife is fun enough to do that, that would be a good alternative to diving. If you dive in Cozumel do not dive with Sand Dollar Sports (shop used by Royal Caribbean). There is a shop that is always recomended on here...BlueXT I believe.

My wife and I are planning a cruise to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel.

Cayman and Cozumel have the best surface diversions. Shopping, beaches, bars, etc.

Roatan is a bit tribal by comparison, the cruise ship will undoubtedly hook her up with jungle canopy zip-line tours, Iguana Farm, West End (Bars, Beaches and Guatemalan Import Souveniers), and the cruise ship mecca- the Dolphin Pester. For that, you don't even have to snorkel- you can just stand there in three feet of weater and Flipper will come over and give you a little somthin' somethin'.

Belize is a non-starter both for diving as well as shore excursions. I would advise you to both do what shore excursions are offered, maybe they'll do the river thru the cave tubing tour. The Belize Zoo is... there. Do not misunderstand- the diving in Belize is phenomenal! It's just that you really cant access it in a timely manner from the far away cruise ship zone or Belize City. If you are diving Belize, you do it a week at a time. It is, again, must do diving~ just not from a cruise ship.

Cozumel might be ideal for both your needs allowing you to go your separate ways. Great land diversions and they dive-ops will show you a great time. She can be easily entertained in Cozumel. Parasailing, jet ski rentals and just sunning on the sand... with wait staff! Lots and lots of bars and restaurants, too. On the other hand, Cozumel would be a great place for a "together day".

Cayman has the ultimate cruise ship signature dive- Stingray City. Worth doing, at least once, and if your bride can't be amused by the Turtle Farm, getting her passport stamped in "Hell", or sucking down blender smoothies with parasols beside the pool and/or beach... Deal with it later- you go do the Stingray Dive. An evening dinner date in Cayman would be well advised, but you will not have that option.

In Roatan, if she wants to do the Dolphin thing, you could dive at the same resort, AKR. I wouldn't make that a selection consideration, as you really won't see each other or be on the same bus. The ship will offer several variants of the dive outing, pick what looks good. Understand- no dive op is going to take you anywhere that they wouldn't take any first day new arrival guest. They don't know you from Adam, so they're going to handle you like they do everyone on their first day of a week of diving.

In Roatan, if she selects the Dolphin deal, the other half of the day could easily be spent at West End (the Bars, beaches and marginal shopping). They are building something new for "pod people" (get used to it!) called Mahogany Bay which will have shopping, their own Dolphins, and eventually Cruise Ship docks. It is located just East of the Airport, on the South side, in Dixon Cove.

There is no "one answer" to this often asked question. :search:

I have been to Grand Cayman and Belize. I would definately choose Grand Cayman for one of the dive days. Second choice would be between Cozumel and Roatan. I would opt out on Belize because the topside excursions are so great there, you may not want to miss them.
If they offer an inland excursion, do it. We enjoyed the diving there, but, the inland excursions were the best part of our trip. I also thought the diving was much better in Grand Cayman...

oh yeah...forgot about the Belize Zoo...pretty special!

Back
Top Bottom