Which species is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angel not Angle or Angler. Probably none of those. Surgeon not Sturgeon. Not that either.

Parrotfish.JPG

Based on this one, I would say it is a parrotfish almost for sure. Definitely not a surgeon fish and I doubt that an angel fish.

You mean anglerfish or sturgeon fish?
Angler fish? what about a sperm whale ha? My final guess would be a variant of the

EMPEROR FISH.....
<TG>

Angler fish? what about a sperm whale ha? My final guess would be a variant of the

EMPEROR FISH.....
<TG>

You wrote angle... I found it odd hence the question.

The snout is very different from the one of an emperor (for example, the position of the mouth).

You wrote angle... I found it odd hence the question.

The snout is very different from the one of an emperor (for example, the position of the mouth).
sure but im no biologist... and i did mean ANGEL before... <TG>
:smalllogo:

You mean this guy, in the lower left corner?
upload_2020-11-22_15-42-49.png

Is this the same guy, from your first pix?
upload_2020-11-22_15-41-19.png

The top one is definitely a parrotfish, the lips are the giveaway.
They do not appear to be the same fish species in the two pix; look at the pectoral fins.

View attachment 625880

View attachment 625878

They do not appear to be the same fish species in the two pix; look at the pectoral fins.

Do you have any idea of which species it may belong to?

They are the same fish, the pectoral fins are just in different positions and the second picture is even worse than the first.

I went to review time stamps and it is possible (time wise) that they are actually two different species.

I still believe that they are the same though. Which difference did you notice in the pectoral fins?

View attachment 625880

View attachment 625878

According to the majority of marine scientists of Wavelength, the top one is a bridled parrotfish (Scarus frenatus) and the one in the other two pictures is a parrotfish (possibly from the same species but they can't tell due to the low quality of the photo).

Thanks everyone for your help.

View attachment 625880

View attachment 625878

I thought that the second might be a unicornfish, no horn but the first photo, definitely a parrot of some sort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom