Which species is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any clue which is the species of the fish on the left of the photo (not the sergeant nor the surgeonfish)? My first guess was some sort of parrotfish but can't identify which.

This was shot in Opal Reef (Great Barrier Reef) in the middle of the day, while snorkeling on June 2019.

P.S. Ignore the quality of the photo: it is just for fish ID purposes.

Brown Parrot like fish.JPG

It might be a female parrot fish? Scarus rubroviolaceus
You could be right, and they can change sex,and with 30 different types of parrot fish on GBR it is hard to tell from that photo.

FishyMcfishFace. No idea.o_O

Does anyone have any clue which is the species of the fish on the left of the photo (not the sergeant nor the surgeonfish)? My first guess was some sort of parrotfish but can't identify which.

This was shot in Opal Reef (Great Barrier Reef) in the middle of the day, while snorkeling on June 2019.

P.S. Ignore the quality of the photo: it is just for fish ID purposes.

View attachment 625553
yeh my first impressions were a parrotfish too, but those colors are way to dark....<TG>

:smalllogo:

But it is a parrotfish, I just don't know which species.
not sure, best guess would be large angle or sturgon fish... <TG>
:smalllogo:

Back
Top Bottom