Which SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Carter Safety Sasauge- 20 lbs of lift and 6' tall. It's oral inflate only, but it's easier than orally inflating a 75 lbs SMB. He does make a 6'/35 lbs SMB that has a baffle bottom (and it comes in black!)

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

Thanks for the responses. I'm just curious what don't you like about the inflator fill design?

Is using your second stage to inflate considered DIR, or is the risk of engagement considered to great?

I find that the only way to get enough air into the carter PF-75 is to fill using my second stage. Also I have experienced my reg free flowing as soon as I take it out of my mouth, unless I turn it back to predive.

I run an extra low pressure hose that routes along with my spg and deploy it to fill the big Halcyon SMB and find that it works well for me. It stows nicely as the end of the hose is run thru the bolt snap.

Thanks for the responses. I'm just curious what don't you like about the inflator fill design?

Is using your second stage to inflate considered DIR, or is the risk of engagement considered to great?

I find that the only way to get enough air into the carter PF-75 is to fill using my second stage. Also I have experienced my reg free flowing as soon as I take it out of my mouth, unless I turn it back to predive.

Have someone show you how to properly fill a bag with your second stage and it is a piece of cake. Done properly, it is the least likely way to get entangled. Getting the bag, and consequently the spool close enough to you to use your exhaust is a great way to get entangled. I don't like the inflator fill because of the slightly increased risk of entanglement but more importantly because it is more difficult to get a good fill. It fills slower and is prone to disengage early and you don't get that last bit of air in it.

If your reg is freeflowing the mintue you take it out of your mouth, you are doing something wrong. Probably technique, turning the moutpiece down as you remove it, etc. but also could be an overtuned reg.

I'm going to get this one for calm seas and for practicing deploying. I already have the DAN SMB for rougher seas.

using an extra hose in case you need to deploy a SMB seems very wrong to me. I also think RTodd means you need to turn the reg mouthpiece facing down when you take it out of your mouth. If you leave it facing up it will free flow. Once it gets flooded though, it really doesn't matter what position it is in. Just try to let it flood slowly by turning it on its side and letting the water come in slowly.

Tom

Getting the bag, and consequently the spool close enough to you to use your exhaust is a great way to get entangled.

Not disagreeing at all, just want to point out that in the current videos shown in GUE-f, this is the method used to demo the bag shoot (which surprised the heck out of me).

This is not how we did it in class however (we were using closed bags).

so would the carter CBPF-35 be consider an SMB that meets DIR requirements? OR is it more to do with how you deploy and fill your SMB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom