which side for a bailout bottle and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panga Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why.

I was carrying mine on the left with a normal stage bottle sling but switched because the hose coming out of the reg was a PITA being backwards. Now its on the right using a dive rite ring bungee and dive rite tech butt plate sidemounted and feels infinitely better.

What are yalls reasoning behind where you carry it.

Left, Right, or Back.

Mine slings on my right side. No reason for it other than I like it there.

I wear mine on my left, because my light is on the right.

Left for the same reasons.

Mine goes on the right. Console & alternate are on the left.

It's a sling as opposed to a tank mount because:
* No rigging, grab & go
* Able to hand off if needed
* Favorable center of gravity
* Low cost sling
* 100% accessible to inspect and use.

Pete

Backmounted, left, valve up. Don't like slung because as a photog it drags the reef and generally gets in the way. I use an XS pony sling that velcro-latches to the cam band. As for why left or right, I use a semi-long 5' primary hose worn underarm on the right, so my pony's hose (shiesh that sounds bad) needs to go underarm on the left, up to necklaced reg.

Always left, main hoses of the right side as mentioned. You want a clean, easy to use system without thinking about it. Mistakes made by switching wrong gas at wrong depths will kill you! When diving deeper you could have multiple tanks all over the place (left,right and between your legs), but that's another story.

On the left, valve down..charged, but off..w/side vent second (ambidextrous). Wont matter what task load..seconds on the right = main tanks..left = bail out.

Last edited:
On the left slung. My hand naturally rest on the valve and it is a few inches below the inflator. 19, 30, or 40. Dont even know it's there but always know where it is if I need or want it. If it's slung and hitting the reef it is slung too low or one needs to get a little more off the reef!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom