Which shaft for Hawaiian sling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im getting a Hawaiian sling for red snapper, grouper and hog fish. Would a 5’ shaft 9/32 ss be a good choice?

That is an option, I think 5 ft long is a pretty standard size. Some variability in what diameter people prefer.

People who master the sling can be incredibly effective and FAST with reloading. A Hawaiian sling also has better range than a pole spear, but it is important that shot placement is good or the shaft will fall out. The sling has considerably less power than an equivalent sized gun.

So I won't say that you can't shoot grouper with a Hawaiian Sling, but I will say that it will be a challenge and you will need to get close to your target. In the Bahamas (where scuba hunting is not allowed) pole spears and slings are the only choices. Their reduced range and power (relative to good sized gun) makes the hunting much more challenging and, as mentioned, will require better stalking skills.

Some people just love the simplicity of a sling, with no string from the spear shaft to the gun and multiple bands to worry about. It will be best for you to spend a good bit of time practicing on shooting a water filled gator aid bottle (while underwater) and then moving on to smaller fish, such as mangrove snapper.

As with most spearfishing (and freediving activities) we offer a very well priced and quality option.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Hawaiian-Sling-Spear-p/mhswss.htm

Thank you for your response. I ordered your sling combo in 5’ and Mako gloves. I’ll practice on a 2 liter bottle for a bit before hunting much like I do throughout the year with all my guns and bow. I’m an avid hunter so hopefully my learning curve will be shortened.

Excellent! Thanks so much for your support. Good luck with it.

If you get discouraged look up Art Pinder, he was an incredibly accomplished “slinger” and if I recall correctly won national spearfishing titles using just a sling, when other competitors were using spearguns.

Thanks
Dano

Very little of your terrestrial hunting skills will translate to the wet world
It is recognized
There is not much skill involved in hitting a floating bottle or a stationary or slow moving fish with a pole spear

Very similar to "shooting a fish in a barrel"

A very important skill is subduing your "20 pound fish" and stringing it before just swims away...
Also needed is a
* A good effective spear point
* California Halibut Hammer
(or a short pointed dive knife- a stiletto )
* Stringer
If you string the fish on you - you run a high risk of becoming a shark magnet
Therefore you also need
* A Burnside buoy float for the stringer with line for towing
When in the water in Florida it is a state law to display a red & white divers flag
* Therefore, you need a dive flag and staff

Contact Dano @MAKO Spearguns for all your needs

sdm

@Marie13 CE

Back
Top Bottom