Which set of doubles would you rather have? 104 or 100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wondering what effect those fills had on the time-until-rebuild on my regs...
nothing, tank pressure has pretty much nothing to do with how fast regs need rebuilds. salt is a far bigger influence.

Those 104s will have an impact on when you need your spine rebuilt though.

-Calculate how much gas you need for the dives you plan to do. The calculation will help you determine your required cylinder volume.
-Coordinate cylinder size (tank factor) with partners for easier gas calculations
-If HP100's have sufficient volume, they are lighter and easier to deal with topside.
-You may also want to consider Faber LP85's, which hold a volume similar to HP100's. They are lighter than Worthington HP100 and longer so tend to trim out well.

Those 104s will have an impact on when you need your spine rebuilt though.

The Army pays for my regular chiropractor appointments (still active duty...). My boss never understood how after a long weekend of diving I was dang-near pain free. Once I was in the water everything felt weightless...

In all honesty they are some very heavy tanks. But for shore diving, the pound per cf is actually pretty good. 1.87cf/lb for a full set of AL80s, or 2.75 cf/lb at a 4,000psi cave fill. or 2.16 cf/lb at a more reasonable (and common) 3,000 psi fill. Even at a rated fill of 2,640 psi its still 1.94 cf/lb. They are heavy, but they do carry a lot of air. I'm not looking to backpack with them to a high country lake, but if I were, I'd want the most breathing gas per lb, and that would have me choosing an lp steel tank...

Back
Top Bottom