Which Scubapro piston 1st stage is the overall best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most often they have no rubber ring cosmetic or SPEC, either way to me looks like something is missing when it's not there. There's a million plus MK10 over here and I've only ever seen one with the rubber ring it was a MK10 plus that I bought and sold. I want to love them as they are easy for me to get. Given boredom is forever knocking on my door and money is tight perhaps I'll take another run at them.

Scrap that idea, just remembered new pistons are NLA. I like amassing huge stocks of new parts that I'll never use and eventually sell at a massive loss.

Morning madness.
Probably worth another try with the correct o-ring. I feel Scubapro almost sabotaged their own piston regs by installing HP piston o-rings made of Polyurethane that just don't last. I think the regulars here will have something to say about that. With the right o-ring (VDH kit?) I think the Mk10 is one of my favourites, though I am currently diving the close cousin from Atomic. A second hand MK10 costs less than an Atomic replacement piston, so I would not let NLA pistons hold you back...

Does that mean aftermarket MK10 boots can be purchased? I have seen a couple versions made by SB members, but did not think they were an item that was generally available. I considered going ghetto and trying a homemade inner tube boot but never got around to it.

Difficulty finding the boot is one reason I stopped using the MK10 for salt water dives. It took a couple years searching to find an original MK10 boot at acceptable price. The quest to own sealed SP pistons has also resulted in a purchase of MK5 outfitted with environmental kit.

View attachment 665970

Hi Kupu,

Right now homemade boots are the only option unless one gets real lucky and finds a NOS. If you come up with a ghetto version we are all ears. @rsingler managed a homemade boot for the MK5 so the 10 should be just as easy. There is no reason not to dive the MK10 in salt water sans boot-it just takes more care when soaking post trip.

Good find on that MK5 Environ kit.

I decided to go sealed after using a MK10 for a year on an island with no fresh rinse water. 500 dives with brackish rinse water at end of day.

Even with that treatment and no servicing, the MK10 held up until the end of the trip. It did look just a wee bit rough inside when it was finally opened up.

Sealed or not, I love a MK10. Classic.

mk102e.jpg

You're talking about something different; the MK2 is a totally different design than any of the balanced piston regs. Our discussion on this thread is about the differences between the various generations of the balanced piston, flow through design. Of course the flow-by (unbalanced) MK2 has lower flow rates, but there are some other benefits, like no dynamic o-rings subjected to HP air, and a very small teflon seat. This makes it an excellent design for high percentage 02.

Nice to see that SP is making sure they put a little free advertising into their tech certification class.

More like A LOT!!! haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom