Which regulator for both very cold & warm waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. It is easily prevented, though. Don't (EVER) breathe your secondary on the surface in cold air and set your primary's IP to midway (simple adjustment, your shop can do that for you). Tiny bit more work of breathing, but you won't notice when under ice.

Something like Apeks XTX50 won’t break the bank and is a good choice.
If there's one reg that I see most of on technical rigs around here, it's the XTX50. In my family we have three reg sets: two XTX50, one XTX100. Why the XTX100? I got a sweet deal on a used set. If you want to pay extra for bling, buy an XTX200 set. As a bonus, the 1st stage has a replaceable seat.

Yup, Apeks is an all around great performer, xtx 50’s would do nicely.

Another vote for Apeks XTX50 or earlier versions such as TX50 or ATX50. Great cold water regs and not that expensive.

What would be an example of an option, that would break the bank? I don't mind investing in my safety.

The Aqua Lung Legend LUX Supreme is hard on the bank, for example. But that doesn’t make it ‘safer’ than a less expensive cold-water rated setup. The Poseidon Xstream is generally considered to be one very best regulators for cold water diving and in the upper end of the bank-damage spectrum but still typically less than the Legend LUX.

scubapro or Halcyon.

scubapro mk25 evo or Halcyon h75p (same reg) have pretty perfect routing for DIR.

Apeks are solid regs too. I dont like the routing personally but i know alot of divers who swear by them.

Had my Halcyons in everything from 3ºC fresh water and 29ºc tropical reefs and never had a problem.

Last edited:
The Aqua Lung Legend LUX Supreme is hard on the bank, for example. But that doesn’t make it ‘safer’ than a less expensive cold-water rated setup. The Poseidon Xstream is generally considered to be one very best regulators for cold water diving and in the upper end of the bank-damage spectrum but still typically less than the Legend LUX.
That seems kind of OK, 589 € for first and second stage, I spent more than that on my TV, which is very unlikely to save my life underwater. Should I get it for both main and octopus?

scubapro or Halcyon.

scubapro mk25 evo or Halcyon h75p (same reg) have pretty perfect routing for DIR.

Apeks are solid regs too. I dont like the routing personally but i know alot of divers who swear by them.

Had my Halcyons in everything from 3ºC fresh water and 29ºc tropical reefs and never had a problem.
Some people online suggest, that scubapro is more likely to freeflow in cold water and that mk17 is better than mk25 for cold water. Would you disagree with these statements?

I have the AquaLung Legend LX Supreme. Next one down from LUX model. Just without the fancy finish.

Another vote for Apeks XTX50 or earlier versions such as TX50 or ATX50. Great cold water regs and not that expensive.
Is it better than the XTX200? What do the numbers mean anyway?

Back
Top Bottom