Which regs to stay away from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have personal experience of regs to stay away from? I am looking the the near future to upgrade since mine are doing fine right now but I do not think thay will take the next step with me. Thanks

akforsyth once bubbled...
Anyone have personal experience of regs to stay away from? I am looking the the near future to upgrade since mine are doing fine right now but I do not think thay will take the next step with me. Thanks

Check http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/motherofregulators/

It contains the following text:

CONSUMER ALERT! UNSAFE AT ANY DEPTH

Over the course of this comparative evaluation, two regulators failed to meet even the most minimal breathing simulator tests. They look very similar and may well be made by the same original equipment manufacturer.

One is currently being marketed as the R-8 PARAGON 2000 by Sunshine Diving of Lutz, Fla. When hooked up to the breathing simulator, this reg was able to reach a depth of only 79 feet at 37.5 RMV before exceeding established test limits. When switched to the higher breathing rate of 62.5 RMV, the reg only made it to 24 feet before exceeding limits again. To make matters worse, during in-water tests a first-stage seal failed. Luckily, it happened at a relatively shallow depth.

ScubaLab contacted Rick Morrison at Sunshine Diving and relayed the results of the tests. He assured ScubaLab he would contact the manufacturer immediately with test results and would inform us of any further developments.

The other regulator, called the MiniPro, was formerly distributed by Cochran Undersea Technology of Richardson, Texas. When hooked up to the breathing simulator and operating at the lowest breathing rate of 37.5 RMV, this regulator was only able to reach 99 feet before exceeding established test limits. When switched to the higher breathing rate of 62.5 RMV, the reg was able to reach a depth of only 28 feet before exceeding limits again.

ScubaLab contacted Martin Heerschap at Cochran Undersea Technology with test results. He informed us that the MiniPro was no longer part of the Cochran line. However, there are still MiniPros out in circulation. In fact, ScubaLab purchased one just a few months ago from a Southern California dive shop.

Our message here: These two regulators should be considered unsafe for recreational diving. If you come across one of these regulators in a dive store, we urge you to inform the store owner of these test results and ask him to contact his distributor.

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...
Our message here: These two regulators should be considered unsafe for recreational diving.B]

... but they should be just fine for tech diving ... right? :wink:

I would never buy a reg made by either IDI or IST. They look and feel like a Mickey Mouse regulator. Cheap plastic parts and non-standard weird parts. Unless you know a shop that has parts for them, and can service them, you will have a tough time getting them overhauled. You can get them for real cheap on the internet, but they are not worth it. GO for a MAJOR name brand of regulator. Rodale's is a good place to start, but definitely asking other divers about their experiences is a very good thing to do also.

I definately would not stray from the major names... Just thinking that some companies are up and commers and maybe I miss hearing about the next best thing. At the moment, my Oceanic Delta II ice and piston 1st stage. In the near future I will be looking at making this a backup rig, and stepping up a bit more.

I assume you meen stick with major brands, not stay away from as the initial question stated.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
I would never buy a reg made by either IDI or IST. ..... Rodale's is a good place to start......
But Rodale's likes IDI regulators. It even gave the Seaira Spirit a tester's choice award! :confused:

Personally I like Apeks, but there are a number of excellent regs availiable. Definitely stick with major manufacturers. Worse case, you have to get it serviced at an overseas dive resort. Do you really think they can service Honest Harry's Breath of Death Special?

There are so many reg makers and MOST are great. You have to go looking for a bad reg. these days.

I wouldn't even hesitate on buying a reg. off of Ebay......as a matter of fact I did and it's a great working Poseidon Cyklon 5000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom