Which regs should I keep?

Which 1st stage should I stick with?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take MK10, if you don't want them.

My Mk 10's, purchased new ca. 1987, continue to work phenomenally for me for the recreational diving that I do in temperate water here in MO and AR. I service my Mk 10's, myself. (They are very easy to self-service.) I use them on my HP (3,500 psig) cylinders, though these days I typically dive LP (2,250 + 10% or 2,400 + 10% psig) cylinders.

However, I won't use them in very cold water (e.g., Lake Superior), and I won't use them when my HP cylinders are "cave-filled" (e.g., 4,000 psig).

rx7diver

I was a little surprised when my friend @James79 seemed to talk down the Conshelf series, especially since he has provided me with help on keeping mine up and running. I strongly agree with the idea that a 3/8ā€ HP port is a disaster wait into happen. If you use one of these original small port C XIV firsts, always, always always double check which port is attached to which hose. Donā€™t ask how I know, itā€™s too embarrassing to admit again. SOOOā€¦

I solved the ā€œproblemā€ by using later Conshelf firsts. A C22 for one has the 7/16ā€ HP port and four LP ports, making ideal hose configurations possible. The late designe ā€œadvanceā€ on the series SE2 is identical, but its primary second stage port (LP) is the oversized 1/2ā€ size. I can deal with it. I guess my answer doesnā€™t strictly fit your parameters.

BUUUT, I want to stick with the good old chrome on brass 1085 seconds used on the C XII, C XIV, and C 30. Thatā€™s why I voted Conshelf XIV/14!

A Conshelf 14 does not even have the right sized HP port and requires an adapter to use a normal hose. It is still serviceable at least.
That would be a Conshelf XIV. The Conshelf 14 has modern sized hp port. I have both.

@Jcp2, Iā€™m aware of the advance of the C 14 over the C XIV, but when the C 21 and 22 came out, they finally figured out that the first stage should have both a 7/6ā€ HP port and four 3/8ā€ LP ports for maximum hose placement options. Of course the first generations of plastic second stages were an abomination, but fortunately there were still a bunch of 1085 boxes out there.

Then they went off on a tangent with the SE Series... the one 1/2ā€ LP port was, IMHO at least, an unnecessary gimmick. At my age Iā€™ve decided to quit buying more first stages unless another C 22 falls into my lap very cheaply. I guess the bottom line is that accumulating all these regulators really has no rhyme or reason. We just continue to do it because it pleases us.

šŸø

Dump them all and get this

@lexvil I just picked one up last week becasue of you and @buddhasummer.
Taking it to Florida on Friday!

Attachments

• 20240304_083232.jpg
    20240304_083232.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 19
was a little surprised when my friend @James79 seemed to talk down the Conshelf series, especially since he has provided me with help on keeping mine up and running.
I'm not sure where it looked that way... If it did then it wasn't my intent! I plan on running Conshelfs (old chrome ones) in my household for decades to come.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom