Which regs are best for the DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been reading Vance Harlow's Reg Repair book and its fascinating to me. I'm a big DIYer around the house, and used to be a pretty good shade tree mechanic when most cars still had carburetors, but for some reason, I've never considered repairing or rebuilding my own regs.

I currently own four sets of regs. A very old USD that never gets used, an older Dacor used as a backup, a newer Mares Axis that my daughter uses, an Oceanic Alpha my son uses and a Atomic B1 that I use.

From what I'm reading in the Reg Repair, the Atomic or the Mares is not that hard to service,but the Dacor is a little tricky. Has anyone tried to service any of these, and which regs would you reccomend as best in terms of a balance of good performance and ease of service and parts availabliltiy for the DIY?

Also, if one was going to venture into this field, would you reccomend buying an old reg and tearing it apart before attempting to work on the regs you use?

apeks are straight forward and parts are available through internet. otherwise dive rite makes some decent regs and they will sell you their parts kits and supply instructions without any hassles.

Old Scubapro regs. Like the Mk5 or Mk10 with either the metal Adjustable or Balanced Adjustable. Readily available (on ebay) at great prices. Bulletproof, simple, and good performance. Kit include updated components and are reasonably available.

Scubapro mk2, mk5 1st stages-108, 109, 190, 380 2nd stages. Parts on e-bay. Easy to find tech info.

Thanks! What about Atomic? Are they straight forward and are parts available, and how did you guys get started working on regs? Did you just tear apart a reg to learn?

Getting started is easy. A little motivation and a copy of Harlow. Then search & ask for help when you need it. Atomic looks like a good reg but the lack of history and distributors and mfgr restrictions will probably make parts and documentation hard to find. Plus, from what I've seen in cutaway diagrams, the parts count is pretty high.

If you want mfgr support, look at the dive rite regs. Parts and documentation available on line.

If you decide on scubapro, I suggest you pick up a Mk5/Adjustable on ebay for about $50. You have to make sure the Mk5 has modern 3000psi yoke and 4 or 5 port turret and use it as a learning tool. Special tools are useful but most can be worked around.

Good luck - If you go with SP let me know & I can probably help get you started or put you in touch with someone who can help. You probably don't remember Karl :11ztongue

awap:
Getting started is easy. A little motivation and a copy of Harlow. Then search & ask for help when you need it. Atomic looks like a good reg but the lack of history and distributors and mfgr restrictions will probably make parts and documentation hard to find. Plus, from what I've seen in cutaway diagrams, the parts count is pretty high.

If you want mfgr support, look at the dive rite regs. Parts and documentation available on line.

If you decide on scubapro, I suggest you pick up a Mk5/Adjustable on ebay for about $50. You have to make sure the Mk5 has modern 3000psi yoke and 4 or 5 port turret and use it as a learning tool. Special tools are useful but most can be worked around.

Good luck - If you go with SP let me know & I can probably help get you started or put you in touch with someone who can help. You probably don't remember Karl :11ztongue

Karl? Have we met?

Florabama:
Karl? Have we met?

Karl Denninger was a board member a few years ago. He is no longer a member and his posts are no longer accessable. But he had a standing offer for aspiriing DIYers to visit him and he would dissassemble and assemble his Mk10/G250 to show how simple it is. He lives in Destin and can be contacted thru: http://***************/cgi-scuba/akcs-www

WARNING: You may want to focus only on reg servicing and avoid other topics. Karl has a tendency to disagree strongly with almost everybody on something. For example, you may want to aviod any discussion of Scuba instruction.

PS: Part of the conflict between NetDoc and Karl involved cencorship like the petty example above. I will try to send you an e-mail with his site before, I too, receive appropriate discipline.

awap:
Karl Denninger was a board member a few years ago. He is no longer a member and his posts are no longer accessable. But he had a standing offer for aspiriing DIYers to visit him and he would dissassemble and assemble his Mk10/G250 to show how simple it is. He lives in Destin and can be contacted thru: http://***************/cgi-scuba/akcs-www

WARNING: You may want to focus only on reg servicing and avoid other topics. Karl has a tendency to disagree strongly with almost everybody on something. For example, you may want to aviod any discussion of Scuba instruction.

PS: Part of the conflict between NetDoc and Karl involved cencorship like the petty example above. I will try to send you an e-mail with his site before, I too, receive appropriate discipline.

Unfortunately, I have only been on this board for a few weeks, and I have never met Karl, but he sounds like a hoot. I'm only 45 minutes from Destin, so I may look him up. He sounds like an interesting character :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom