Which Reg? Zeagle Flathead VI/ZX or SP MK25/S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Everyone who has responded to my previous threads have been very helpful, and I appreciate the replies. I (think) I'm down to choosing between the Zeagle Flathead VI with ZX 2nd stage, or the Scubapro MK25/S600. I really like the idea of an environmentally sealed system, mainly due to servicing issues. The Zeagle XP has the best Work of Breathing score I have ever seen, but it's not environmentally sealed, so that's sort of a tease to me. Cold water is not an issue because I don't usually dive in water less than 50 degrees, but the water is sometimes silty and sandy with limited visibility.

I mainly dive on the East Coast in salt water that is 50+ degrees and usually no deeper than 130'. I need a reg that will handle the heavy workload of wreck diving, diving in swift current, occasional spearfishing and assisting students when I'm teaching classes. I sometimes find myself overbreathing my current reg set under strenuous conditions, so ease of breathing and then ease of maintenance are the two areas I'm focusing on. I also think that getting older is doing something to my lung capacity! Servicing at my LDS for most regs is not a problem, so that is not an issue to factor in.

Although I have done much research over the internet, I still cannot find the Work of Breathing rate chart for the MK25/S600. I have found charts for many of the other brands I have researched, but not SP. Here are my main questions, and I'm sure many of you know these answers off the top of your head:

1. What is the Work of Breathing rate for the MK25/S600 and where do I find a chart on the internet to do some comparisons? Are all current MK25s classified as Anti-Freeze (AF) since they all have teflon coated internals that are in contact with the water

2. I have heard great things about the Zeagle, including it being an Apeks spinoff. The Apeks ATX200 breathes a little wet, so does anyone know if the Zeagle ZX breathes wet? I have not heard about any problems with the Zeagle.

3. Does anyone know which diaphram, environmentally sealed reg set has the easiest Work of Breathing rating?

Thanks once again for your help with this. Any info you can provide will be taken seriously, factored in to my final decision, and will be much appreciated.

Can anyone help with this one?

Thanks!

I dive the Zeagle DSV/ZX. It breathes nice and dry in all positions. Even tested it standing on my head at 130ft in 42 degree water. The reg is environmentally sealed. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. Best of all, it's made in the good ole USA.

MK25/S600 is a great breathing reg. But, it is not sealed and needs to be detuned to work in water below 50, which you say isn't an issue for you. It also is not US made.

OK, I appreciate the reply. Which one breathes easier while working, or can you really even tell a difference?

Thanks!

realdiver7:
OK, I appreciate the reply. Which one breathes easier while working, or can you really even tell a difference?

Thanks!
I think if you do a search on here for posts by ScottZeagle he has posted some test results for the Zeagle regs. I know Zeagle has been rated as a best buy by magazines.

The zeagle you will find does not breathe wet (I don't think that the Apeks does either except in odd positions) but the Zeagle is based on the TX series which is favoured by some and has a better bubble dispersion. I would think that the Apeks has the best work or breathing in the category mentioned but that is based on testing them all after service and my opinion not any official results. As for my choice on your dilemma, I think that you will save yourself alot of post dive maintenance byt getting something sealed. It will save you many headaches when you are diving in the salt water of the ocean where the scubapro is open and requires alot more maintenance. I think that that while the Scubapros do not have a large cold water hazard where you are located, the design of the regulator regardless of the AF does not facilitate cold water very well. just my thoughts

my take is the S600 or any of the new ScubaPros are just to dry. I had one and got rid of it ,also dove one of the new zeagles Fine regs {metal Tube} I also have a MK10+ Blanced adjustable Chrome reg that is becoming my favorite found this new and boxed for 150.00. Just added a Zeagle ZRD for cruddy water extreme cold seems to be smooth breather although I haven't dove much. Going on 9 day blackbeard next saturday I'll be able to rate both much better after the trip. :dazzler1:

OK, thanks again for the great info. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom