Which PLB for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are you using in Cozumel as a personal locator beacon? I am just beginning my search, and I like the idea of the Nautilus because it’s already waterproof and would not need a canister. However, I understand the Nautilus doesn’t really reach out to satellites, it reaches out to nearby boats.

Are most of the diveboats tuned in to devices iike the Nautilus?

Or are you using a GPS capable PLB with a canister?

I do have a DSMB, mirror, whistle, hanky, etc. But after diving last time and hunting for that lost diver for an hour, it has me thinking I want some sort of PLB.

My latest purchase Garmin InReach mini plus environment case good for 300 ft. I've been towing it on my dive flag, because even without subscription it functions as a GPS route recorder. If taken under water, it will record entry/exit points and surface swim. Subscriptions can be monthly or yearly, and it includes web tracker, limited messaging, and SOS/Rescue.

As you already know a Nautilus is not a PLB (EPIRB) in that it does not communicate with COSPAS/SARSAT direct to NOAA (other). It is a GPS transponder intended for overwater use with limited transmission range to AIS/DSC equipped boats. Doesn't mean it's not useful (it is), just not what you asked for. As for the manufacturer's claim that "is more than a PLB, more than an EPIRB" I have no idea WTF that means. That's like saying a screw driver is more than a hammer. On a recent trip to Indonesia I carried both. I have an Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 which I carry in a Custom Divers canister. Great form factor. Seven year battery. It is waterproof but not pressure proof. Unlike the Nautilus can be used in the backcountry (hiking, backpacking, skiing). Just requires clear view of the sky.

Do y’all know if any dive operators have the AIS radios used by Nautilus?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

As you already know a Nautilus is not a PLB (EPIRB) in that it does not communicate with COSPAS/SARSAT direct to NOAA (other). It is a GPS transponder intended for overwater use with limited transmission range to AIS/DSC equipped boats. Doesn't mean it's not useful (it is), just not what you asked for. As for the manufacturer's claim that "is more than a PLB, more than an EPIRB" I have no idea WTF that means. That's like saying a screw driver is more than a hammer. On a recent trip to Indonesia I carried both. I have an Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 which I carry in a Custom Divers canister. Great form factor. Seven year battery. It is waterproof but not pressure proof. Unlike the Nautilus can be used in the backcountry (hiking, backpacking, skiing). Just requires clear view of the sky.

Don’t forget to carry PLB1 mounting strap as you would get tried of holding it up above the waves for hours.

IMG_9173.jpeg

In my mind I have invented another signaling device. It would be a small high pressure cylinder of helium connected to a long string and a balloon. Push a button and the balloon is filled and released.

I've often thought about something like that too.. if you could get a balloon up there like a flare with a flashing light you'd see it easily for miles ... of course, wind could be an issue in stormy seas :)

For waterproof canisters, lots of options including of course our DRYFOB XLs :) We recently had someone take them down to 700ft for a few hours with no issues (outside a submersible).

For Cozumel, there are definitely lots of boats and most dives are guided ... but of course, its always better to be prepared for the worst.
Some strong currents out there without a doubt..

1718384241303.png

Back
Top Bottom