Which online stores would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Which reputable online stores would you recommend for some basic snorkel gear - mask, snorkel, boots, fins, wetsuit? as some of these stuff may not fit well, I'm looking for place that has good service, easy to exchange policies.

thanks,

Jason

My vote is for LeisurePro I have had nothing but great experiences and their prices are some of the most competitive I have found..........

ScubaToys gets great reviews on SB.........

I have also used Dive Rite Express for more special items..........

Hope this helps.........M

My vote is for LeisurePro I have had nothing but great experiences and their prices are some of the most competitive I have found..........

Complete agreement here - I use these three frequently and have no complaints. Scuba Toys is particularily easy to deal with on sizing issues, returns, etc, no big bureaucracy to fight.

I vote scubatoys. Call in your order and tell them you are a scubaboard member. They will give you 10% off the entire purchase order!!

+1 for these online sites as well. I have used them all with great results, and have never had an issue. I also recommend Deep Sea Supply if you need tech stuff, and North East Scuba Supply as well. Tobin and John are nice dudes.

I've purchased stuff from Leisurepro, Scuba.com, Scubatoys, Cave Adventurers, Dive Rite Express, and various other stores.

So far, I'm pretty happy with each place, with one slight exception for Scuba.com. They've got a great selection, and excellent prices, but I find that it's best to call the store and ask if a certain item is in stock. I've ordered several items which said "in stock", but after paying for the item, I'd receive an email several days later saying that the item needed to be backordered and I would have to wait anywhere from a week to two months :(. I still shop there (great prices, and they really do have good customer service), but if it's a somewhat time critical item, I just call first to make sure it's in stock.

You really might want to consider purchasing your mask in a dive shop, though, if you are able to. Masks are very much an "individual fit" item, and it's best to try them on in person to find the best fit for you. Otherwise, you might find yourself either compromising on a less-than-great fitting mask, or returning several until you find a good fit.

Hope this helps!

Its hard to find bad service online for dive gear, except maybe scuba.com who have ticked off a few people here.

I have done lots of business with scubatoys, dive right in scuba, cave adventures, leisurepro, dive rite express, and mcmaster carr (you didn't think they were in the dive gear business did you ;-).

I have heard nothing but good things about tech diving limited and north east scuba supply.

but for the basics like your asking for I would call Mike at dive right in scuba first or scubatoys/leisurepro alternatively.

Hi,

Which reputable online stores would you recommend for some basic snorkel gear - mask, snorkel, boots, fins, wetsuit? as some of these stuff may not fit well, I'm looking for place that has good service, easy to exchange policies.

thanks,

Jason

You are asking all the right questions. I have used Leisurepro for years without a single problem and that includes items I had to return. I am not going to tell you what works for me, because it probably will not work for you.

Personally, I would not be trying to buy your mask, boots, fins, or wetsuit online. It is not that I am connected to any shop or that I want you to be paying a lot more for gear. There are just somethings that you have to try on to see if they fit. I love Henderson wetsuits and my wife has a 3mm and 7mm that fit her like a glove. For me, the Henderson's seals are too tight around my ankles to be comfortable. Nothing wrong with either Henderson or me, it just isn't a good match. I could go on, but it would sound like Goldilocks looking for 'just right'.

In each case, wetsuit, mask (especially), and boots/fins, the only way to get the right fit is to try it on. If you live close to NYC, by all means drop by LP. They sell the mask I use for $60 and my LDS sells it for $125. Shopping for snorkel gear that has to have a personal fit is a good way to interview all your local shops so you can find one to build a relationship with. As a new diver, you will need local help that you cannot get by buying online. On a side note, I consider it rude to try gear on locally and then buy it online.

Your snorkel is a generic piece of gear that needs no personal fitting, get it online.

Hope this helps and keep asking questions.

I have never had a bad exp. with any of them and have used most of the larger ones,sadly I cant say the same for the lds around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom