which one? g-15 vs rx100 for wide angle - limited macro photography.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I currently have an s90 in a canon housing. The camera takes pretty good underwater photos, but there is something wrong with the focus drive and it does not focus on far away objects on land. Apparently this is a common problem with this model based on my research. Also it does not shoot hd video.

I want to get a replacement. Below I will list my requirements in order of need.
1. Wide Angle - I like to shoot overall scenes underwater to give the viewer a sense of being there. This is my main priority.
2. Ability to remove wide angle underwater.
3. HD Video. I only shoot video occasionally but I want it to be HD when I shoot. I also have a gopro for this but I don't always want to take both.
4. Ease of changing settings and manual controls underwater. This is one reason I like the G15. I like all the dials. I am also very familiar with Canon's menus.
5. Travel (This is why I narrowed down to 2 smaller cameras rather than taking my DSLR underwater) I will also use this camera for surface photography so the small form factor is important. I am not interested in 4/3rds types because I want the camera to be pocketable.
6. Eventually I will add strobes but for now I like to shoot larger scenes where strobes are less useful.
7. Macro. This isn't my main focus and I will only do this occasionally if I see something cool.

What's your thoughts. I didn't put price as an option because I want to buy the right thing that will last me the longest.

No I haven't got any lenses for the s90. I had the s90 as a land camera and then a few years ago I bought the underwater housing for a trip to coz to snorkel. I shot a ton of pics like that and I got certified last year. I am starting to reach a point where I feel comfortable adding the extra task of the camera to my dives. Now I want to get a better camera and take it more often with me. After I get even more comfortable with it I will add strobes etc. RIght now I keep it simple so I can clip it off easily if I need to focus on other things. I definitely will pick up a wide angle lens right away for either set up. Then I will add a focus light and strobes later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deglossed
This is my flickr. All the underwater shots are with the s90 except for the one shot of me. That was taken by a friend with a Nikon DSLR and strobes.

agree with interceptor121...IQ is noticeably better with the RX100 but you can't go wrong with either.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you! Been pounding my head trying to choose between these two.
My suggestion is go and play with both in the shop. See which one you feel more comfortable with. Personally I could just not hold the Sony properly and the Canon just fitted nicely and then all the dials make life so much easier. The sony has tiny buttons and you have to search through many menus to get to certain important things.
From a technical/ image quaility point of view the Sony is slightly better than the Canon but you really have to look super closely to see the difference. Given that I am an amatuer the image quality of the G15 will be just fine for my needs.
The new Inon wide angle lens allows the G15 to do WA so that is great and the G15 kicks the Sony's but at macro.

For me its a big capital outlay so I need to love the camera I get and as much as I wanted to love the Sony I just could not. So its G15 for me.
Oh the Canon is cheaper and if you put it in the Canon housing its MUCH cheaper than the Sony + Ikelite, therefore more cash to spend on the lenses and strobes.

I got a reply from a shop that you can't switch lenses underwater with the g15. That might be a deal breaker.
Your shop seems to be a bit behind the times.
The shop is refering to the dry mount WA lens/ ports that can be added to the Recsea and fantasea housings, BUT Inon's new UWL-S100-ZM80 lens is a true wet lens. The new Inon lens can be added to any of the housings including the cheap Canon one and the expensive Nauticam.
The Inon lens gives approx 100 degrees field of view but if you add the dome to it (I've seen the dome for $160) then it becomes a proper fish eye lens at 150 degrees FOV.
If this lens was not available I would never have even considered the G15.

There is an ocean of image quality between the RX100 and the G15 at the end the G15 is a small sensor camera and is not that cheap either.
Wide angle lens for the G15 will require strobe and will be dark in natural light, the RX100 is just much better and much more flexible in terms of wet lens choice which makes it a better value for money options in the long term.
There are plenty of camera that are on the same level of the G15 for stills including canon S110 and Panasonic LX7, but none of those can beat the RX100 for stills
Also video mode on Canon has no controls whatsoever. Panasonic and Sony instead offer full control another thing to add to the considerations
Chile has got some good shots out of the G15 but nothing sensational my own S95 shots look pretty similar if not better, if you instead look at shots with the RX100 of mjh or NWdiver on wetpixel you get yourself an idea

121 I am not arguing that the Sony has better picture quality and using DXOmark here is exactly how much better it is (in the most objective way that I could find to measure):
At Iso 80, the Sony's dynamic and tonal range is 7% better and its colour sensitivity is 12%. SO yes it is better.

It still remains a really uncomfortable camera to use (for me anyways)!

As for the new Inon WA lens being dark... have you tested it yourself or can you send me the link of a indepth review that clearly states it is dark and will not work in ambient light? Or is this an assumption you've made from the few pics Chile has taken, which may or may not have been slightly under exposed OR it could have been a cloudy day or or or...

Neither of the cameras are perfect, and you have to see which one suits you better and which compromises you are willing to make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom