which one? g-15 vs rx100 for wide angle - limited macro photography.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from HD video I doubt the G15 is much better than the S90, the RX100, yes, definitely because of the faster focus and much larger sensor and ability to use a variety of lenses to good advantage.

N

The considerations around wide angle come from the inon specifications and pictures on Flickr
The pictures are all taken with two strobes as the lens requires small aperture to work
At f/8 you can take ambient light shots only at shallow depth and you need to pump the ISO pretty soon on a dark day which means quality of the picture will suffer
The rx100 fits on a pocket and once you get used to the trinav commands is very portable
In the housing in fact is actually easier to use and you don't use most of the commands anyway
Unless you get the g15 with the canon housing the rx100 ends up being cheaper with all other housing options because you have plenty of wet lenses to choose from so overall cost is actually low

The considerations around wide angle come from the inon specifications and pictures on Flickr
The pictures are all taken with two strobes as the lens requires small aperture to work
At f/8 you can take ambient light shots only at shallow depth and you need to pump the ISO pretty soon on a dark day which means quality of the picture will suffer

I'd love to see the flikr pics you are talking about, please drop me the link (I've only seen the few Chile has uploaded). Also which of the Inon specs leads you to believe that you need to use a small appature (eg F8, even though my understanding is that F8 is the "default" appature setting most people shoot WA at)? And even at F8 what makes you think it is darker than any other WA lens at F8?

Costing is pretty much same same, with the canon you can save on a macro lens. And the Inon WA lens + dome is $510 which is not much more than any of the other fish eye lenses.

This is their flickr set
M67 Lens Adapter Base DC48 - a set on Flickr

Those are the remarks on Inon website

[When using UWL-S100 ZM80]

*When shooting, zoom towards to telephoto side at approximately focal length 80mm (35mm film equivalent) until no vignetting is observed. Shooting at wide end setting will give you a circular fisheye image. Too much zooming will have narrower view angle and less advantage of a wide lens.

*Since combined camera is set to focal length approx.80mm (35mm film equivalent) for optimum optical performance, use small aperture setting.

*It is recommended to deactivate image stabilizer of the camera as using this function could have vignetting with focal length setting at approx. 80mm (35mm film equivalent).

*This product is not compatible with any of INON "Lens Holder" due to product feature to adjust mount position back and forth by screwing it.

*The built-in flash light could be blocked depending on housing, shooting distance or angle of view etc.

And no on a compact you don't shoot f/8 at wide angle, with a dome you can easily shoot f/2-f/4 in natural light like this picture that is taken without strobe with a canon S95

Mantas in Formation | Flickr - Photo Sharing

And no you don't save on a close up lens for macro as the G15 at 5cm distance shoots an area greater than what macro really is

http://interceptor121.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/choosing-a-close-up-lens-for-a-compact-camera/

You can take good close ups but no macro for macro you need a close up lens with any compact camera unless you are physically on top of the subject

I'm leaning towards the RX100. I still need to get one in my hands and play with the settings to see how I like it.

Let's talk housings.

Ikelite? Nauticam? RecSea?

I like ikelite because of price and the external handle.
I like nauticam because functions are clearly labelled.

What's it the price/value relationship between the ikelite/polycarbonate case and the Nauticam/alumium case?

What about adding lights later on? Servicability? ease of accessing camera functions? etc.

Keep in mind. Stock Lens, Wide angle lens and some video are main focus. (Video is not important enough to me though to go for the Nauticam video housing)
Macro is least important and not a major consideration.

Stock lens for wide angle is not an option as your 28mm become 40 with a field of view of 54 degrees

If you want to start with video with no macro capability you need a housing a tray with two handles and a wide angle lens

For what concerns housing choices is down to budget and personal preferences. Aluminum housing last longer so if you do many dives that is the way to go for sure.
There are at least other 2-3 housing manufacturers in addition to those you mention
Nauticam is in my opinion the best this is of course personal

This is their flickr set
M67 Lens Adapter Base DC48 - a set on Flickr

Those are the remarks on Inon website

[When using UWL-S100 ZM80]

*When shooting, zoom towards to telephoto side at approximately focal length 80mm (35mm film equivalent) until no vignetting is observed. Shooting at wide end setting will give you a circular fisheye image. Too much zooming will have narrower view angle and less advantage of a wide lens.

*Since combined camera is set to focal length approx.80mm (35mm film equivalent) for optimum optical performance, use small aperture setting.

*It is recommended to deactivate image stabilizer of the camera as using this function could have vignetting with focal length setting at approx. 80mm (35mm film equivalent).

*This product is not compatible with any of INON "Lens Holder" due to product feature to adjust mount position back and forth by screwing it.

*The built-in flash light could be blocked depending on housing, shooting distance or angle of view etc.

And no on a compact you don't shoot f/8 at wide angle, with a dome you can easily shoot f/2-f/4 in natural light like this picture that is taken without strobe with a canon S95

Mantas in Formation | Flickr - Photo Sharing

And no you don't save on a close up lens for macro as the G15 at 5cm distance shoots an area greater than what macro really is

Underwater Video Tips: Choosing a Close Up Lens for a Compact Camera | Interceptor121 Underwater Video

You can take good close ups but no macro for macro you need a close up lens with any compact camera unless you are physically on top of the subject

The UWLS100-ZM80 is a wide angle Macro lens, it is not a standard wide angle conversion lens, thus the need to use small aperture settings. It would be useful for ultra close focus macro images with wide field, essentially a macro or ultra-close focus wide angle.

N

The UWLS100-ZM80 is a wide angle Macro lens, it is not a standard wide angle conversion lens, thus the need to use small aperture settings. It would be useful for ultra close focus macro images with wide field, essentially a macro or ultra-close focus wide angle.

N
Exactly right. So it is not a lens you can use in ambient light without strobes which is what I was trying to explain our G15 fans here

Love my RX100 for medium to wide angle work. I am using the Inon H100 lens and dome but looks like the FIX UWL 28 is also getting good results. With the Subsee +10 diopter it is "ok" for macro. All the photos here where taken with it Aquablue Dreams. Will have some more from our recent Raja trip. I shot it against the Oly OMD-EM5 with the Lumix 8mm and in some cases, like shooting sun ball shots, prefered the RX100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom