Which Oahu shops own their own boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While searching the dive shops in Oahu, many refer to the boats they use or run. Then some of these same boat(s) are referred by other shops. Then some shops specifically mention that they have their own boats unlike other operators who buy wholesale seats. Those who buy seats are then dependent on thes ones who run the actual boats on their schedule and where to go.

Would someone have a list of the dive shops in Oahu that run their own boats?

I don't have a definitive list, but I believe these are some shops that own their own boats:

Ocean Concepts
Captain Bruce's
Breeze
Aloha Dive Shop (I think)

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I know of.

Dive Oahu
Aquazone
the one on Nahua...can't remember the name...get to it later.

I don't believe that Ocean Concepts owns a dive boat, I think they have an arrangement with the owner of the South Seas. He also owns a boat called the Ella Mae.
Waikiki Dive Center on Nahua st, HONOLULU. Does own their own boat.
Aloha Turtleguy

Actually there are a bunch of dive shops that own there own boats. BUT that does not mean the boats are nice, comfortable, functional, or even sea worthy for that matter :(

If you are still seeking a definative list- let me know and I will put it together for you.

Aloha~

pacificparadisedivers:
Actually there are a bunch of dive shops that own there own boats. BUT that does not mean the boats are nice, comfortable, functional, or even sea worthy for that matter :(

I would hope they are all sea worthy

pacificparadisedivers:
If you are still seeking a definative list- let me know and I will put it together for you.

If this doesn't take too much time, it'll be good to know. This info should be useful to many people.

I would like to say they are all sea worthy too.... but sad to say~ that is truly that is not the case. Hence the words of caution. Yet - I will mention that all will do their best to show you good diving.

As for a list of shops that own their own boat- this is what I have come up with:

Diamond Head Divers
Captain Bruces
AAA Diving
Waikiki Divers
Ocean Concepts
Aloha Dive Shop
Aqua Zone
Breeze (mostly Japanese Divers)
Dive Oahu
Deep Ecology
Captain Johns Diving

I think this is a complete list of shops that run their own boats. If I have missed any please let me know and I will update it.

Additionally there are a couple of others that are more focused on intro (tourist trap style) diving. They only keep them underwater for about 15 minutes and do not deserve mention here as far as I am concerned.

There are other boats on the island that only sell wholesale seats to dive companies. While that may sound bad- actually most of the companies listed above with dive boats do sell seats to smaller companies and independant instructors as well. It is just the way things work here. A boat is very expensive to maintain and hard to keep full in the slower times of the year.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know!

Aloha

Chris

pacificparadisedivers:
Diamond Head Divers
Captain Bruces
AAA Diving
Waikiki Divers
Ocean Concepts
Aloha Dive Shop
Aqua Zone
Dive Oahu
Deep Ecology
Captain Johns Diving
Aloha

Chris

...interesting that two of the oldest (at least in name if not ownership) shops, Aaron's and South Seas Aquatics, aren't on the list. SSA had a boat a Kewalo Basin while they shared store space with McWayne's Marine Supply; a parking lot's there now, a step and skip from Dive Oahu. I know they ran a boat at Pokai Bay, at least up until the time they moved from Kapahulu Ave to behind Planet Hollywood -- but now I'm not real sure if they owned that boat.

pacificparadisedivers:
I would like to say they are all sea worthy too.... but sad to say~ that is truly that is not the case. Hence the words of caution. Yet - I will mention that all will do their best to show you good diving.

As for a list of shops that own their own boat- this is what I have come up with:

Diamond Head Divers
Captain Bruces
AAA Diving
Waikiki Divers
Ocean Concepts
Aloha Dive Shop
Aqua Zone
Dive Oahu
Deep Ecology
Captain Johns Diving

I think this is a complete list of shops that run their own boats. If I have missed any please let me know and I will update it.

Additionally there are a couple of others that are more focused on intro (tourist trap style) diving. They only keep them underwater for about 15 minutes and do not deserve mention here as far as I am concerned.

There are other boats on the island that only sell wholesale seats to dive companies. While that may sound bad- actually most of the companies listed above with dive boats do sell seats to smaller companies and independant instructors as well. It is just the way things work here. A boat is very expensive to maintain and hard to keep full in the slower times of the year.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know!

Aloha

Chris

Do you guys at Pacific Paradise own your own boats? If not, whose do you use.

Aloha Mad Max~

No- Pacific Paradise Divers does not own a boat.

The primary boat we dive from is the Enzo which is owned and operated by Captain Mike from Diamond Head Divers. It is a beautiful custom built Force(42ft I believe)- made specifically for diving. It is a catamaran style boat that has a very wide beam and all needed creature comforts including a full head (bathroom) and fresh water shower. The boat is powered by twin outboards which equals no diesel fumes. Due to the catamaran style build and lack of fumes- it is very easy on even the most timid landlubbers! It services some of the best dives on the island including the YO-257, San Pedro, Sea Tiger, and 100 ft Hole. (all in my top 5 oahu dive sites)

Additionally- we also use the NoriZ which is owned and operated by Captain Joe out of Hawaii Kai. The NoriZ is a solid dive boat that services some outstanding dives in that area (some of my personal favorites- one top five and fill out the majority of my top 10). Although it does not have the same amenities mentioned above- there is a great vibe on the boat and our divers always have a good time there. Captain Joe has been driving boats in Hawaiian waters for over 20 years and knows them well. Captain Joe mainly provides charters to dive shops and independant instructors- hence the reason the boat was not directly mentioned before.

Occassionally we will go out on the Elysium with AAA Diving. This is a very nice 38 ft Dive Master 360- It too has a marine head and a fresh water shower. It is owned and operated by Alex Mason and services dive sites out of Keehi Small Boat Harbor. (Pinnacles is a great dive spot and some great mid-depth reef dives) We have seen some big critters over here.

Also on occassion we do use "Captain Bruces" boat - The Beach - as well. The Beach is owned and operated by Captain Randy and his wife Suzette. They are extremely nice people with a nice custom (pro 42 I believe) jet boat that services the west shore dive sites including the Mahi, Makaha Caverns, and Black Rock. It also has a marine head and a warm fresh water shower.

We feel that it is a combination of knowledge of the Hawaiian marine life, in depth diving experience, and the level of service provided by our professional staff that sets us apart- while offering our guests a safe & enjoyable diving experience.

I hope this answers your question. There is loads of information & pictures posted on our website (link located below). Please let me know if you need any further info on diving here on Oahu.

Enjoy-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom