which media card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well I have been using a 256 mb and 128 mb XD card and been fine so far but getting ready to go on my first real trip with my camera.
So which media would be best buy another 256 XD or, why is everyone talking CF cards, now my trip is seven days in cozumel .
three dives a day .with two night dives.
any suggestions since I have card reader for my laptop for XD.

medic13:
Well I have been using a 256 mb and 128 mb XD card and been fine so far but getting ready to go on my first real trip with my camera.
So which media would be best buy another 256 XD or, why is everyone talking CF cards, now my trip is seven days in cozumel .
three dives a day .with two night dives.
any suggestions since I have card reader for my laptop for XD.

Its a more rugged format, its easier to handle and keep track of. I consider my XD worthless and keep it in the cam as a back up only. It won't fit in any of my 6-in-1 readers, its too darn small and I don't like the exposed blades.

My $.02.

K

Mo2vation:
Its a more rugged format, its easier to handle and keep track of. I consider my XD worthless and keep it in the cam as a back up only. It won't fit in any of my 6-in-1 readers, its too darn small and I don't like the exposed blades.

My $.02.

K

isn't cf cheaper, too?

Hi Joe,

I would go with a CF if for no other reason than it fits into the other slot in the camera so you can have both on board and can switch UW if necessary. I saw a PCMCIA (?)to CF adapter the other day for around $12 so the cost of a new card reader is not really an issue. You always have the option of downloading directly off the camera or xfer the files from the CF to the XD in the camera. Seems like the CF was a lot cheaper than the XD's as well.

Yes I think CF's are cheaper as they have been around longer than xD's... but not by much... I just checked a site here and the difference was around $5-10...

CF's also seem to be more popular... looks like another VHS vs. Beta debate...

CF is faster and cheaper. As mentioned earlier, it's also got a longer track record, more compatible with other devices, and allows you to go to 1+ GB of storage (which can be added to the existing XD card and switched underwater). This is a no-brainer to me.

Since we all know that everyone has a Oly 5050, we all know that you can use two types at a time. I bought a fairly large CF to hold a lot of images, but I keep the dinky stock XD in the camera also like a "reserve tank" for a motorcycle.

Readers can be had relatively inexpensively. Images can be transferred from one card to another.

Note that certain features of the Oly can only be done with an XD card such as the multi-picture panorama.

Just rambling, and no one cares.

Wristshot

That's why I use the XD card as back up.

Apparently the Ridata CF cards are the way to go. My 1G Sandisk CF card flaked on me, big time. I did download most of my images from Coz before it happened, thankfully. The stock xD card with the 5050 did come in handy as a backup, though.

As someone explained not long ago, the 1 gig cards sound nice but it's like putting all your eggs in one basket. I'm glad you got most of your pics back.

I don't want to take that chance. I don't want one bigger than 512mg but my 256mg is working out just fine, I haven't managed to fill it up before I need to change batteries. I've got to open that housing anyway so I'll change cards as well as batteries. If something happens to a card, the most I lose is 2 dives worth of pics. A 256mg CF and a 128 mg XD are serving me very well and both are very affordable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom