Which macro lens: Tokina 100mm or Nikon 105mm VR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1.4x tele with the old Nikon 60mm maro lens is an excellent combination, many serious macro photographers in So Cal, including myself use it all the time. Kevin Lee uses that combination exclusively. Here is an article I wrote about teleconverters.

The sigma 17-70mm is a good mid-range lens, but it is certainly no substitute for a macro lens.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Pascal at Hugyfot led my attention to a Dyron macro wet lens. Looks pretty interesting in combination with a 60mm macro.

Dyron
Dyron

that could give even more versatility, to be able to remove / add the wet lens under water

Hi Scott, very interesting articles about tc!
With a 1.4 TC and 60mm macro, are you then able to get 1:1 macro picture from a longer distance, than without the TC ?
And if you move close, can you get a magnification greater the 1:1 ?

It is a great combination. Add a few diopter filters to the kit. Fish portraits, macro, super macro.
There is great use for the 105mm as well. I just think to start, the 60mm is very versatile set up.
You will most likely need a port extension additionally when the TC is on.

60mm, 1.4 TC, +5 diopter Bup stuff 3 200909 - Version 2 copy.jpg

Last edited:
just ordered the Nikon 60mm f/2.8D and hugyfot flat port. For a start I'm just gonna work with the 60mm alone. TC or diopter might come later. Good to know this lens will work with most add-on's

thanks for great advises guys :)

Hi Scott, very interesting articles about tc!
With a 1.4 TC and 60mm macro, are you then able to get 1:1 macro picture from a longer distance, than without the TC ?
And if you move close, can you get a magnification greater the 1:1 ?

To answer the questions: yes, and yes. BTW, you can get a magnification greater than 1:1 without the TC. 1:1 is on a full frame sensor. With a crop sensor, you get about 1:1.5. With a 1.4 TC, 1:(1.5*1.4) = 1:2.1

This is with a 60mm, D300. The fish is smaller than your little finger:

CT_2011_09_10_105624.jpg

Great picture. Didn't realise about the crop sensor before! Looks like I'm going to invest in a Kenko 1.4 soom :)

went out sunday and tested my new Nikon 60mm f/2.8 and port. Works great. Much more macro than Sigma 17-70 I must admit!

1DSC_3999.jpgDSC_4000.jpg

Attachments

• 3DSC_3999.jpg
    3DSC_3999.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 399

Back
Top Bottom