Which macro lens: Tokina 100mm or Nikon 105mm VR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife have letten me know that I can choose a new macro lens for my upcoming birthday :D

I can't make my mind up between the Tokina 100mm and the Nikon 105mm VR.
If you look away from the price, (which I do in this case), I have some doubt about which one will suit my underwater rig best. (Hugyfot D7000 and 2 x Inon Z240)

1)The Tokina is extending quit a bit on close focus, so I need an 60mm extension ring for it, wheres the Nikon only need a 20mm, so the port will be an extra 40mm long with the Tokina.
I'm not sure if this mean anything at all, for example for flash placement, handeling or anything. Ie which is best :a shorter port og perhaps a longer port can be a benefit?

2) the Nikon is quit a bit heavier (2-300g) and the port is shorter so I guess the setup will be more negatively boyant than with the tokina

Perhaps the above concerns is irrelevant, but I'm trying to get as close as I can to choose the right one
and I would really like to know about other peoples experiences with the two lenses under water

Lotsa folks shooting the Nikon 105, I have yet to run into anybody with the Tokina 100. There's a message there (maybe about quality, maybe about the relative newness of the Tokina).

Even more folks shooting the Nikon 60mm. Where do you shoot? Nice tropical vis? Then the 105. Crummy temperate vis? Then the 60 or maybe even the new 40mm once the ports sort out.

Nikon 60mm & 105mmVR is a great combination for moderately closeup & macro. Use depends on subject size & how close you can get. Both top quality lenses. The 60 is more versatile in terms of subjects. The 105 is strictly for small stuff. Water conditions aren't that critical when shooting macro.

I have considered to start with the 60mm Nikon instead of a lens in the 100mm area. But as I already have a Sigma 17-70, I'm thinking that can fill the gap, for semi macro and fish portraits. it can focus les than two inch from the front of the lens.
I must admit I'm not 100 sure what the difference is between , for example the Sigma 17-70 and a dedicated macro lens, like Nikon 60mm, since it does cover the focal length and can focus quit close too.
Perhaps the dedicated macro is sharper I guess ??

Btw, when lens manufacters specifyes a minimum focus distance, is that the distance from the film plane (or ccr)

I changed from my Ninon Micro 105mm NON VR to the Tokina 100mm.
I have fungus troubles with 3 Nikon lenses (2008 18-105VR, 105mm Micro and a 10 month old 70-300VR)
The 18-105mm and the 70-300 VR never got under the water, the 18-105mm made 3 6 months dry season in Cost Rica,
the 70-300 one season and all have fungus. Nikon Switzerland changed the affected front lens after various emails and phone calls on guarantee.
The Tokina 14-24 from 2008 is still in perfect condition and i use this lens frequently under and above the water.
This situation pushed me to the deciscion to abandon Nikon non professional lenses and stick with Sigma and Tokina.
I consider Tokina as very fine lenses, built of solid and quality materials and the optical quality is overall good to very good.
I used always the 105mm nikor mikro and now the Tokina 100mm and i am happy with them, but as they are tele lenses they need a steady hand and no surge/current conditions, otherwise you may have problems with out of focus and motion blur.
Both of the above lenses are rather slow in focusing, but the new 105mm VR seems to be too quick and bother some people with hunting.

I have the same rig as USUB and i feel fine with it, it is slightly negative and the long macro port is not particularly disturbing but you have to place the strobes a bit more in front, but due the longer distance to the object this it not a issue.

Chris

Very curious - what's the cause of your fungus problems?

Typically a lens like the 17-70 would be used with a dome port, while a macro lens like 60 or 105 would be used with flat port. The effective focal length with a flat port is reduced by 4/3. (A 60 with flat port is like an 80. With a 1.5 cropped sensor, a 120.)

jcclink,
do a search on google about fungus problem on lenses and you will find tons of articles and opinions about that problem.
One thing is clear to me, the spore (the seeds) have to enter inside the lens and i believe that fungus comes from
assembling the lenses in a infected ambient.
I had all 3 lenses for 6 month in Costa Rica in a higher humidity than normal ambient, but they never got exposed to rain
or any other liquid. 3 of 4 Nikon lenses developed fungus problems while my old 18-70 mm Nikon and the 12-24mm Tokina did not developed any problems with fungus still being for the same time in Costa Rica and frequently used as the other lenses. The brand new Nikon 70-300 VR i bought in June 2010 and after 10 Month it showed fungus inside on the front lens and this was the trigger to abandon Nikon.
Chris

Well, from what I have read, the third party manufacturers: tokina, sigma, and tamron all make excellent macro lenses. It seems as if high quality macro lenses are easy to make. The Nikon 105 has a very good reputation and it might be better at autofocus. It might be better supported by the port manufacturers (the Nikon that is). You could call your manufacturer and ask them about the port issue with the Nikon vs the Tokina. I bet they will just say that their ports will handle either just fine. So it will be down to your own choice on the lenses.

yes, I'm using the Sigma 17-70 with a 6,8" dome. Works well, but the dome is a bit clumsy for close up shoots. When I get the port for the Nikon (looks like I'm going for Nikon, despite the chance of fungus)
I'll test if I can use the Sigma in the same port and how it works. As far as I can messure, it should fit.
I have talked to two different manufacturer now. Both higly recommended the Nikon, but in combination with a good focus light, which I have (Fisheye LED48)

You will want manual focus with a 105. Sometimes with a low contrast subject AF can't find focus. A focus light helps but not always, depending on subject. Try to AF on a transparent ghost pipefish sometime :D Some macro ports may support certain lenses in AF mode only. Adding a focus gear to the lens increases its diameter, which could be too large for a port. Check with your housing manufacturer before buying a lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom