Which macro lens: Tokina 100mm or Nikon 105mm VR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I have used a Nikkor 105mm with my Subal-housed D200 for several years and it works well. Subal offers an extension for the same port that works with my 60mm Micro. About 1 time in 10 I have problems with the autofocus, but the other 9 times it works perfectly. What I love about it is that I can take pictures of critters like Wire Coral Gobis without disturbing them, something hard to do with the 60mm.

A key to using it is careful focus of your strobe(s). I use a Nikonos SB 104 (long since abandoned by Nikon) and it provides all the light I need. I have used twin S&S YS-100 strobes as well with success. However, if you do that with a Subal Housing, you cannot use the TTL mode: you must use the Manual mode, a modest pain for "grab shots". :(

My experience: once you get used to the 105mm, you will love it.:blinking:

joewr...three divers are bidding on the use of this space...so you better get your bid in soonest...the weekend is nigh!

Hi,

I have used a Nikkor 105mm with my Subal-housed D200 for several years and it works well. Subal offers an extension for the same port that works with my 60mm Micro. About 1 time in 10 I have problems with the autofocus, but the other 9 times it works perfectly. What I love about it is that I can take pictures of critters like Wire Coral Gobis without disturbing them, something hard to do with the 60mm.

A key to using it is careful focus of your strobe(s). I use a Nikonos SB 104 (long since abandoned by Nikon) and it provides all the light I need. I have used twin S&S YS-100 strobes as well with success. However, if you do that with a Subal Housing, you cannot use the TTL mode: you must use the Manual mode, a modest pain for "grab shots". :(

My experience: once you get used to the 105mm, you will love it.:blinking:

joewr...three divers are bidding on the use of this space...so you better get your bid in soonest...the weekend is nigh!

I'm a fellow SB-104 user (I've got five plus an organ donor). If you need to rebuild the battery packs: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/sb104/
4000 mAH!!

But you need an extension for the little short 60mm but not for the long 105mm??? I don't understand that.

I'm a fellow SB-104 user (I've got five plus an organ donor). If you need to rebuild the battery packs: Rebuilding Nikon SB-104 Battery Packs
4000 mAH!!

But you need an extension for the little short 60mm but not for the long 105mm??? I don't understand that.

Hey, Chuck,

Greetings from a fellow Nortecaliforniano!

Back when I bought my Nikkor AFD 105mm, Subal offered an "extension ring" (EXR-33) to go with the flat port used for the Nikkor AFD 60mm Micro (FP-FC60). I think they have since changed the product line. At any rate, I use those two gadgets with my Nikkor AFD 105mm. Sorry if I was unclear.

I have only one battery for the SB-104 and it has been through one "transplant/rebuild"; however, I am always on the lookout for a second battery so I have a spare. So far, no luck...maybe you got all the ones I was looking for!!!

And, what a small world: I read your article when I was considering rebuilding my battery myself...but other projects required my personal attention and I wanted the battery for a trip, so, I asked Bob Warkentin to do it for me. He did a nice job and I am happy. But I still want to dig up another battery...and,this time I will do it myself using your excellent instructions, a cc of which is in my UW camera file.

By the way, I did use the SB-104 with my now-retired Nikonos V--they were a great combo!

I love the SB-104, but it is a bear to lug around on a shore dive.

joewr...remembering the Morgan Hill "speed trap" during my college days...35 mph or you kept the Morgan Hill PD in coffee and donuts...:(

What close-up filter brands and strength are recommended for 60mm and 105mm lenses? I am just looking to get into the underwater game currently have a 105mm AF Micro Nikkor f2.8 D and have ordered a 60mm AFS G. Unfortunately the older 105 has a 52mm filter instead of the 62 of the 60 and new 105.

I was looking at B+W and notice canon has a two element filter at 3 times the cost. Too bad Nikon discontinued the 5t and 6t.

Thank you.

(For Full Frame body)

Last edited:
What close-up filter brands and strength are recommended for 60mm and 105mm lenses? I am just looking to get into the underwater game currently have a 105mm AF Micro Nikkor f2.8 D and have ordered a 60mm AFS G. Unfortunately the older 105 has a 52mm filter instead of the 62 of the 60 and new 105.

I was looking at B+W and notice canon has a two element filter at 3 times the cost. Too bad Nikon discontinued the 5t and 6t.

Thank you.

(For Full Frame body)

Hi,

I am not certain I understand your question. However, I will tell what I do.

I do not use any filter or diopter for either the 60mm micro or the 105mm whilst doing UW photography with a flat-port. I do put a UV filter on them--for protection against dust/scratches--but only whilst on land.

The only time I use a diopter is when I have a dome-port on my Subal housing. That is due to the need to focus on a virtual image.

However, others may have more and/or better knowledge in this area.:wink:

joewr

Thank you.

(For Full Frame body)

Are you talking about getting better than 1:1 magnification? With the 60mm an 105mm lenses you don't normally need any sort of diopter, but the addition of one will reduce the minimum focusing distance and allow you to get closer than without a diopter, achieving a greater than 1:1 magnification. If you're new to underwater photography, I wouldn't be too eager to get into shooting super macro just yet as this will require a higher degree of ability managing the rig and it will be somewhat more challenging framing your shots.

Agree with Warren.
You can add a +5 diopter (filter type fitting) to either lens for further magnification and more frustration as well. You are of course stuck with that throughout the dive. The second alternative is to add a SubSee (type) kit which are wet mount +5 and +10 diopters. These give you the best of both worlds as you can switch while you dive. However you may have to hold on to your wallet.

@GRH You might want to check with the Nikon 60 mm G lens. I am fairly certain it does not auto focus well with most (if not all) Tele Converters. The older and slightly cheaper AF Micro 60mm does not have that problem.

Thank you.

(For Full Frame body)
You could always get a 52mm to 62mm stepup ring, $6.95 at B&H.
General Brand 52mm-62mm Step-Up Ring (Lens to Filter) 52-62 B&H

Thanks all. I'll reply over in my previous 14-24 post since I don't want to thread jack.

Back
Top Bottom