Which ISO setting do you use for UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I had been shooting in ISO 100 - which is the lowest ISO setting on my camera. I was doing this for the highest quality and least amount of grain to my photos. It was suggested to me by a respected photog, to try shooting in AT LEAST ISO 200 instead, that I wouldn't really notice a quality difference, but I would have higher F-stops available, giving greater DOF flexibility. I tried it and liked it so far.

I was just wondering what other people did, and why - also probably you should mention what is the lowest setting that you have available.

I've always shot at 100 because Mike taught me to do it that way. I will try 200 but I think there might be too much degradation after that. I'm leaving on a 9 week Asian tour and I'll try a few different things.

So 200 has been working well for you howarde?

Dennis... From what I hear - Canons perform quite well at higher ISOs. But my original hesitation was for the same reason as you stated.

I shot these in ISO 200

featherdusterctw.jpg

This is with F13 also...
muggs.jpg

I am diving tomorrow... If the current is mild, I will try to shoot the same photo (essentially) in both 100 and 200 to compare.

Those are great howarde. I've seen some your U/W pics and they are excellent. I think your video experience has really paid off for you with terrific images first time out. I will definitely try the 200 setting.

Diver Dennis:
Those are great howarde. I've seen some your U/W pics and they are excellent. I think your video experience has really paid off for you with terrific images first time out. I will definitely try the 200 setting.
Thanks Dennis. I also did learn how to use SLR's a long time ago (with film) so - that - along with good advice from good resources (Ryan, Mike V, and Peter) has certainly helped shorten the learning curve. Also the ability to dive frequently helps too. I think I have almost 40 dives with my new camera rig already.

It was this guy http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/montages/people/aug_2006/Slides/082306_0094_HE.htm

who gave me that advice (Peter Schulz) - http://peterpeterpeter.com (and he wrote the photography help pages on http://splashdowndivers.com) While I don't agree with everything he says (and not everyone will ever agree on anything) - I at least try what he says, and look to see for myself.

I think Peter posts on wetpixel... But I'm not sure... I don't go over there.

I just got a new book yesterday, Martin Edge's The Underwater Digital Photographer and I'll look it up. I'm like you howarde, I'll try anything to see if it works for me. We are going to the Mike Veitch and Tim Rock workshop in October and I'm sure I'll learn a lot there.

Diver Dennis:
I just got a new book yesterday, Martin Edge's The Underwater Digital Photographer and I'll look it up. I'm like you howarde, I'll try anything to see if it works for me. We are going to the Mike Veitch and Tim Rock workshop in October and I'm sure I'll learn a lot there.
Michelle got this http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?...id=888&zenid=99f2da6397b580d02277a188565d2ee0

on Ryan's recommendation (probably because he sells it??) - I've read through it too, and it's pretty good, although somewhat basic.

I would really like to go to Mike's workshop next June in Yap. I'll see how things pan out for that.

There is another one in Puerto Galera in the Philippines next year howarde. I'm going to be there at that time along with a lot of PPD. Simon Buxton and Tim Rock will be there. You and Michelle should consider that one as well. I'd love to dive with you guys.

Diver Dennis:
There is another one in Puerto Galera in the Philippines next year howarde. I'm going to be there at that time along with a lot of PPD. Simon Buxton and Tim Rock will be there. You and Michelle should consider that one as well. I'd love to dive with you guys.
Yeah... Philippines would be easier to get to.

Back
Top Bottom