Which Island To Visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Members,
My family and I are planning a visit to Hawaii in the summer (august). I have been looking at where to stay however the options are endless. My dad and I are both experienced scuba divers however my girlfriend (beginner) and my mum does not scuba dive at all. Do you have any recommendations of where to stay/go for scuba diving? I know the night dive with manta rays is in Kona, can this be done during a day trip from one of the other islands? Kind regards
Youri van Ooijen

I love Kauai! It's not touristy and its lay back but still have a lot to do for adventure. I use my timeshare and stay at The Point at Poipu which is next to the Hyatt.
Most of the diving is in Poipu. There's an easy shore dive at Koloa Landing in Poipu. I usually do boat diving since hubby rather golf. You should try to stay in Princeville area for couple of days so you can dive Tunnels and hike Na Pali to off gas. You can only dive Tunnels in the summer and only a few operator does it, Fathom 5 Divers.
I also love diving in the Big Island. I did the manta night dive and the black water dive w Jack's Locker in Kona. I also dove in the Wiokoala area and used Blue Wilderness Adventure. There boat is a zodiac so it's back roll or just jump in and don in the water, great homemade macadamia/chocolate chip cookies.
This year I'm staying in Kauai and Maui.
In Maui, I'm staying in Lahana to dive Catherdal in Lanai. While staying in Kihei, I'm diving Molikini. I haven't dove in Oahu. The city is too commercial for my taste and it's too crowded!
Have a great time!

I know the night dive with manta rays is in Kona, can this be done during a day trip from one of the other islands?
No it's too far. Kona of course being the only area to reliably see Mantas although they do show up off Maui occasionally. It's also Volcanoes Nat'l Park and Kona town is pleasant but shore dive sites are a long drive apart. Most of the boats except for 3 in the Waikoloa area are based in Honokahau harbor located between the airport and Kona/Kailua town. Waikoloa is about a 1/2 hr. drive north.
There's a lot of waterfront - not beachfront condos south of Kona also. vrbo.com lists a bunch by area. For mom while you've got the car diving there's a trolley that runs between Keahou to the south and Kona town. We've used Kona Diving Company - you'll see them recommended here often.

I mostly agree with what Bubbles ^ posted but my choice would be Maui first as you can dive 3 other islands from there daily - Molokini Crater, Lana'i, the entire West Maui coast line (esp. shore diving) and Lahaina Divers even goes to Molokai to dive with Hammerheads certain times of year.

There's also the most shallow shore dives for the g/f. Kapalua Beach, Black Rock or any of the Kihei/Wailea beaches are also good shore dives - when you price boat dives you'll see why it's a good option.

Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

Kihei has a lot of condos in all price ranges. Often cheaper since many are across the street from the beach. Wailea is a little more upscale, nicer shopping resorts like the Four Seasons and many of them are beachfront. We rent condos there and walk to the beach w/o leaving the property. It's also a dive.

In West Maui there's properties in Lahaina - walking distance to the shops/waterfront is a bonus - or Ka'anapali/Kahana where the mega-condo towers are. It's nice there also on the beach but there's only one or two nearby areas with decent shore dives. The boardwalk is a nice area with a mix of restaurants/shops/small malls.

Still farther north is Napili/Kapalua. Napili is older condos on the water, Kapalua famous for one of the nicest beaches in Hawaii and the golf courses behind it. About a 20minute drive back to Lahaina for most things although Kapalua Beach is also a nice dive.

Kauai is good diving also - the best of it is Ni'ihau which is diveable in August but a rough crossing and all-day trip. On the list I linked to Tunnels is the best shore dive, Koloa Landing second. Ahukini is closed and many of the others better snorkels as they're shallow for a long way out. If you wanted to base in an area with good diving, access to diveops/boats and nice beaches - look for something in Poipu. We rented a big house (family trip) so I can't help with specifics.

hth,

Last edited:
I would pick Kona for the manta ray night dive. But, I enjoyed my surface time more on Oahu and Maui - probably leaning more towards Oahu.

We have done both Big Island and Maui and enjoy them both for different reasons. I have friends that live on the BI so it is nice to see them.

I guess a lot of it depends on if you are a boat diver or a shore diver. We mostly shore dive and Maui has many easy shore entries. BI is not bad, but not as good as Maui. The marine life seemed to be better on Maui and so many turtles they become obnoxious. Also on Maui it is very hard to find depth below 40' so little worry about NDL and an AL80 lasts over an hour.

We usually do one boat dive per trip. We have done the Manta dive and it is amazing and another general night dive as "guests" on BI. In Maui we did the Pinnacles and they were amazing. We are headed there again this month and will probably do the back side of Molokini. I am also going to bring my scooter and hope to hit a couple of the wrecks.

Someday we will probably do Oahu for the wrecks, but not a fan of the city aspect of it.

I've been to Kauai (2 weeks), Big Island (4 weeks) and Maui (4 weeks) and do boat diving only as my wife doesn't dive. I find the boat diving in Maui a little better than BI both in terms of the dive sites and the fact I can get 2 dives in and be back on shore by 9:30 am. I did not do the manta night dive, I just can't seem to get excited about sitting on the bottom with a hundred other divers. Kauai was OK but logistically, unless you are staying in Poipu it was a bit of a drive (one dive we saw 40-50 turtles).

You can't really go wrong with any island for balance of both diving and topside activities.

We prefer Maui as well. You can dive 4 islands from Maui and the shore diving is easy and good. Topside activities are varied and plentiful, snorkeling is great, fantastic beaches, good food choices, lots of choices of accommodations, and easy navigation for driving around.

You're probably getting from these responses that you can't really go wrong. There are so many classy and professional companies and crews in the Hawaiian islands that I'm sure with a little research you'll be sure to have a wonderful trip/experience. Each island is certainly a little different and offers unique opportunities. World class turtle diving, wrecks, manta dives, dives with critically endangered monk seals, lava tubes, sharks.... it just depends on what you want to see and your experience level to some degree. Each island has more than enough to keep you busy for an entire trip and I hate suggesting multiple islands unless you are doing 2 weeks or more. If you have already made plans for one of the islands feel free to send me a PM (personal message) and I can assist you with suggestions for activities both diving and otherwise. I've dove in the Hawaiian islands professionally for over 17 years and have many contacts I can utilize to ensure you have some great options. Scottie the duck (oahu) is also a great resource on here that is very helpful. I'd love to help out however I can. Hope your plans are coming together and you are getting excited about your upcoming trip.
Best of island wishes
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom