Which Island to Snorkel? Phi Phi, Rayas, Phang Nga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Quero

Will i get ice cream while my chauffeur paddles my lazy ass round the island coz when I'm on holiday I like to be treated like an Emperor 24/7! :D

I haven't completely ruled out Phang Nga as it does sound very alluring but my primary interest for that day is snorkeling...i'm a glutton for marine life...and ice cream!

Cheers
Nope. No ice cream on boats. (This isn't really a dairy-products sort of place.) There are a few new-ish places on the island that serve home-made gelato. You might enjoy a "tour" of ice-cream stores!

OMG! Ice cream tours? Does such a thing really exist? Sounds like the stuff dreams are made of!

Well, I think the Raya islands will suit my needs best. After a bit of googling I've seen a few dive boats that allows non-divers ranging from £25 (Santana) to £40 (Waterworld), I'm presuming that they accept single snorkelers? Any recommendations for other companies?

Is a dive boat the best way to do it or should I just jump on a ferry to the island and do my own snorkeling and stick to my own timetable?

I'm also taking the 1hr Kok Chang Elephant Trek. What's the best time to do this, early morning or before sunset?

many thanks

Well, in the first place, Waterworld doesn't have a boat. They are an agent. I would say that as long as you're already working with Steve on your Similans booking, let him take care of your snorkel trip as well. He'll have all of the same boats on offer as Waterworld, and it will simplify everything for you.

Secondly, all dive boats that go to the Racha lslands allow non-divers. The usual rate is somewhere around 50% of the diver rate, but there is variation. Again, Steve will be able to quote prices for you.

Finally, the elephant ride thing always makes me sad, and I personally won't have anything at all to do with booking one of these "tours". The training methods used to force baby elephants to obey commands and eventually to take riders in a basket on their backs is nothing short of torture. You may see some people on websites like LP or TA claiming that the particular camp you name is more "humane" or represents a "sanctuary." But that is a false claim. The camps are all very much the same. If you are really interested in an elephant interaction, the only place I recommend is Elephant Nature Park near Chiang Mai. If you'd like a link from NatGeo describing in words and pictures the abusive training methods routinely used in taming elephants, let me know and I'll PM you.

Last edited:
Finally, the elephant ride thing always makes me sad, and I personally won't have anything at all to do with booking one of these "tours". The training methods used to force baby elephants to obey commands and eventually to take riders in a basket on their backs is nothing short of torture. You may see some people on websites like LP claiming that the particular camp you name is more "humane" or represents a "sanctuary." But that is a false claim. The camps are all very much the same. If you are really interested in an elephant interaction, the only place I recommend is Elephant Nature Park near Chiang Mai. If you'd like a link from NatGeo describing in words and pictures the abusive training methods routinely used in taming elephants, let me know and I'll PM you.

Yeah, I agree. I did an elephant ride many years ago, and it still makes me cringe. Here is a link to an article about the sanctuary that Quero mentions, which is where to go to see these animals without perpetuating the cruelty involved in training them to ferry tourists.

@Quero

I read about the rides on TripAdvisor where there were many positive reviews of the 'ride' but I was unaware of the training methods. By all means PM me with the article, thank you for making me aware of this and I'm now against the idea.

@JTinSD

Thanks for the link, such a nice story to hear about this lady making a difference, great pictures too!

Outpost, remind me to bring ice cream for your Oktavia trip - we actually have freezers and generally bring ice cream for birthdays, engagements or kids, but I'll make an exception in your case :wink: Which is your favorite flavor? :D

See you in March
Karin

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy! Awesome Karin, haha! My favorite flavor is Hagen Daaz Baileys but I imagine that's hard to find so I'll be very happy with Mint Choc Chip or Vanilla Please.

Wow, I feel special already, many thanks,
See you in march!
Chris

P.S. I'm also quite partial to Lobster, Fillet Steak, Caviar, and Champagne! :D

I'll probably drop Chris off or pick him up myself, but if you fulfill all his wishes I'll make sure to be there a bit nearly for the goodbye meal, although I'm not too fond of caviar to be honest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom