Which Island to Snorkel? Phi Phi, Rayas, Phang Nga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

In March I'm going on a LOB to the Similan/Surin Islands & then to the South, diving at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Haa, Bida Islands & Shark Point.

For my decomp day I want to spend the day mainly just snorkeling on one of the islands near Phuket like Raya Yai, Raya Noi, Phi Phi or Phang Nga but I just can't decide which one is best for me so i need some recommendations please.

What I'm looking for is the best island to snorkel for u/w photography, also for beautiful beaches, good food and not be over-crowded..if possible. I don't really want to do the kayak trip to Phang Nga but may go there just for the snorkeling.

If you've been snorkeling to any of these islands, or others, could you let me know about your experiences, both good and bad please?

Many thanks!

Hi Outpost,

Are you planning on joining a daytrip out of Phuket? If so I would join a speedboat to Phi Phi Islands but pick one that takes smaller groups and visits the best sites.

You won't be able to get to far away from the crowds but if you select the right trip you will be taken to the best snorkelling sites and beaches. One trip offers a gourmet picnic lunch on a white sandy beach.

Sounds like you have a great trip planned :D

Cheers OTS, can you recommend any companies that take smaller groups and go to the best sites please? Plus, what are the best snorkeling sites?

Cheers mate

Your LOB will have taken you to Phi Phi marine park (the Bidas), and I imagine that you will want to visit some other place rather than go back to Phi Phi on your snorkeling day. I would say do one of two things:
1) go to Racha Yai on a dive boat, but snorkel instead--that way you will miss the snorkel crowds with their life jackets and reef shoes standing on the corals. You'll have the bay pretty much to yourself as a snorkeler.
2) snorkel right off Phuket--you can go to the north end of Kata Beach, the south end of Kata Noi, Ao Sane, and a bunch of others. You can even go to some of the neighboring islands by longtail, such as Koh Pu right off Kata Beach, or Buddha Island (Koh Keaw) a couple of km off the southern end of Phuket island.

Finally, you might want to consider a different kind of tour for that day. My customers have always loved the sea kayaking trips into Phang Nga Bay, which is a UN World Heritage site.

Hi Quero,

Thanks for the suggestions, you made some good points, I'll look into those islands.
The main reason I'm not eager to do the Kayaking is that after 8 days of diving I just want a relaxing day where the majority of my time is spent snorkeling rather than paddling a kayak for a few miles.

many thanks!

1) go to Racha Yai on a dive boat, but snorkel instead--that way you will miss the snorkel crowds with their life jackets and reef shoes standing on the corals. You'll have the bay pretty much to yourself as a snorkeler.
2) snorkel right off Phuket--you can go to the north end of Kata Beach, the south end of Kata Noi, Ao Sane, and a bunch of others. You can even go to some of the neighboring islands by longtail, such as Koh Pu right off Kata Beach, or Buddha Island (Koh Keaw) a couple of km off the southern end of Phuket island.

Quero, What's the name of the island they take you too on those Maya bay/Phiphi daytrips, something like Koh Gai /chicken island or whatever... I found out that while the yellow life jacket snorkelers where feeding with the sergeant major fish nearby the beach, there was quite a good snorkeling reef, if you venture out some 70m away on the drop off you may even spot sharks, Reef blacktips if I remember well..

As for snorkeling off south Kata beach, well... I think there's time better spent. :)

Hi Quero,

Thanks for the suggestions, you made some good points, I'll look into those islands.
The main reason I'm not eager to do the Kayaking is that after 8 days of diving I just want a relaxing day where the majority of my time is spent snorkeling rather than paddling a kayak for a few miles.

many thanks!
Ah, but that's part of the beauty of it. The guide does all the paddling :wink: since there are delicate formations in the areas where you go, and good paddle placement helps keep the formations intact. The trip takes you to the interior lagoons of karst islands in Phang Nga Bay. You enter the lagoons by way of a sea cave through the wall of the island. The kayaks themselves are carried aboard a larger boat where you gather between kayak excursions and for meals. IMO, this is a not-to-be-missed tour. People describe it as 'magical.'

Quero, What's the name of the island they take you too on those Maya bay/Phiphi daytrips, something like Koh Gai /chicken island or whatever... I found out that while the yellow life jacket snorkelers where feeding with the sergeant major fish nearby the beach, there was quite a good snorkeling reef, if you venture out some 70m away on the drop off you may even spot sharks, Reef blacktips if I remember well..

As for snorkeling off south Kata beach, well... I think there's time better spent. :)
That's right. Some of the boats do take snorkelers to Chicken Island.
As for Kata, I said north end of Kata, not south, and I've seen some pretty interesting stuff there! At Koh Pu as well. I agree, though, that generally speaking the snorkeling away from Phuket tends to be 'reefier.'

@Quero

Will i get ice cream while my chauffeur paddles my lazy ass round the island coz when I'm on holiday I like to be treated like an Emperor 24/7! :D

I haven't completely ruled out Phang Nga as it does sound very alluring but my primary interest for that day is snorkeling...i'm a glutton for marine life...and ice cream!

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom