Which island in July – Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know that July is not the best time to visit Raja Ampat (have already been there twice in dec/jan) but I have decided to go anyway - epecially now when there is so many homestays to choose from.

The question is: Which part/which island would be the best (less swells) in beginning of July?

I'm planning a trip end of July and had the same question. I started a thread here and got a few helpful replies

Homestay and dive in Raja Ampat?

Where did you stay when you went before? Looking for recommendations for a good homestay w/dive centre.

I'm planning a trip end of July and had the same question. I started a thread here and got a few helpful replies

Homestay and dive in Raja Ampat?

Where did you stay when you went before? Looking for recommendations for a good homestay w/dive centre.

Thanks - I'll have a look at your thread. I stayed at Kordiris homestay. They were one of the first homestays and it was a lovely place, but the dive center was so so.
So I'm looking for something different.

I'll let you know if I come across something that looks promising.. Do please let me know as well. Its my first time to RA :)

I was diving in Raja last July from Damai liveaboard. We only dived around Dampier Strait before cruising over to Cenderawasih but the diving conditions were fabulous. Flat calm at Blue Magic and crystal viz at Sardine and Cape Kri. So i'd opt for anywhere that offers diving in the Dampier Strait. Can;t help with homestay advice but certainly the diving conditions were wonderful and so few other divers than high season

It is not really an answer to your question, and I hope it is not inappropriate here. We just officially opened our Magic Bay Rao beach bungalows and dive-center. Rao is a small island near Morotai, North Moluccas. July is the very best month of the year here.We found many incredible good dive-sites. For this July and August we can offer some very attractive last-minute discounts. We are still working at the website: www.magicbayrao.com but it gives already an impression and we hope to have more photos and some videos soon. I know RA (actually I gave the stupid name Sardine reef) and have much experience along Halmahera and of course in Lembeh Strait. But Magic Bay is really Magic. With great Viz, lots of fish and corals I never saw before. Excellent critter diving in front too.

I thought it was impossible to get to Moluku in August ?

The Moluccas are a very large area. It depends where you want to go. Indeed, the parts which are open to the winds from the South-East to South-West will often get a swell and waves. But for the Northern part of Halmahera it is the very best time of the year to swim, play in the completely calm, warm and clear sea and of course enjoy magnificent diving.
By the way, Rao is wrongly as Bau at Google Earth. I will attach a map.

Attachments

• Poster1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 271

Back
Top Bottom