Which is better Tern TX or the Peregrine TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Old Man Eyes. I dived with a Perdix AI and a Teric for a while.
Same. I could read the Teric better due to better contrast, in spite of the very slightly smaller font. There's just a lot of empty space on the Perdix AI. I also expect the Terns would have excellent contrast, though I have no experience with them (nor the Perdix2).

I REALLY like the ring compass on the Teric/Terns.

Same. I could read the Teric better due to better contrast, in spite of the very slightly smaller font. There's just a lot of empty space on the Perdix AI. I also expect the Terns would have excellent contrast, though I have no experience with them (nor the Perdix2).

I REALLY like the ring compass on the Teric/Terns.

Exactly. The Teric screen may be 1/2 the size of the Perdix (just to make up a ratio), but the writing on the screen is not half the size. The Teric has much less unused space on the screen compared to the Perdix.

Exactly. The Teric screen may be 1/2 the size of the Perdix (just to make up a ratio), but the writing on the screen is not half the size. The Teric has much less unused space on the screen compared to the Perdix.
Yep, the Perdix 2 screen is less cluttered;-)

Yep, the Perdix 2 screen is less cluttered;-)

lol!! Well, I suppose you could say that. I generally only think of it as clutter if it's showing me stuff I don't care about seeing. And if that's what you want, the Teric will definitely let you customize the screen to show less stuff.

lol!! Well, I suppose you could say that. I generally only think of it as clutter if it's showing me stuff I don't care about seeing. And if that's what you want, the Teric will definitely let you customize the screen to show less stuff.
I am just messing with you:)

So to summarize about the Tern TX and Peregrine TX. It seems most people state:
-The display of both are excellent, but the Tern amoled display is a cut above
-both can be read by those of us who wear reading glasses even if we do not have those "reader lenses" affixed to our mask
-the Peregrine's size makes for nice customization options
-the battery life of the Peregrine is superior
-the fact that the Tern has more buttons makes navigating the features easier
-the compass on the Tern is far better compared to the Peregrine ( I am unsure exactly why except that the Tern's takes up less space and the Peregrine's uses up the entire bottom)??

Is this generally it?

-both can be read by those of us who wear reading glasses even if we do not have those "reader lenses" affixed to our mask
-the compass on the Tern is far better compared to the Peregrine ( I am unsure exactly why except that the Tern's takes up less space and the Peregrine's uses up the entire bottom)??

Is this generally it?
The Teric and Tern compass displays can operate in a completely different mode that does not take up any of the normal display slots.

In addition to compass card-edge numeric display of heading, they can also\instead be used with a floating display that operates akin to a top-down compass card view. Red "north" and optional green "heading bug" dots move around the outside edge of the round display with only minimal occlusion of the regular data displays.

From a functional perspective I find it hands down better for ease of use and situational awareness. North is "that way," target is "that direction," is understandable without compass math, at a glance, regardless of current orientation. When swimming a course, keep that green dot ahead of you.

As huge added bonus, the computer doesn't have to be square to your course. I put a reference dot on the bezel with some enamel paint on the tic-divot 15° from the top that allows me to dive with an easy clasped-hand superman pose. It rides dead-ahead of my dominant eye and lets me navigate accurately and comfortably.

Even if you are not running a course, that constant North reference is wonderful for casual orientation when bumblimg around a reef or the like.

Is this generally it?
The tern appears to use same format of battery as teric so likely issues there.

The tern appears to use same format of battery as teric so likely issues there.
The Tern doesn't appear to use the same battery as the Teric per the chart here:

So it's possible no battery issues, or it's also possible that the battery issues may be tied to the firmware, which would likely mean that they may persist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom