Which is better Tern TX or the Peregrine TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The little I tried with the Tern, it seems that customization is limited to one field only (we set the display to "Big", don't know if there is more space with smaller fonts)

I did not mention, but we both use reading lenses and both computers were also ok to read without them.

If you can read the Tern without special lenses, and you ARE using special lenses, why would you set the Tern to "Big" mode?

It looks better

Okay. That's fine. But, will note what you posted earlier:

Screen-wise, I personally prefer the Peregrine as it has more real estate and for a geek like me, I used bottom line to show SurfGR, GF99 etc. The little I tried with the Tern, it seems that customization is limited to one field only (we set the display to "Big", don't know if there is more space with smaller fonts).

You made it sound there like you prefer the Peregrine screen because it can show you more data.

I believe the Tern CAN show you those same things. You have simply chosen to configure it where it can't - because it "looks better".

The way you write it in your post makes it sound like the Tern cannot show you all the data you want to see and that is why you prefer the Peregrine.

You made it sound there like you prefer the Peregrine screen because it can show you more data.

I believe the Tern CAN show you those same things. You have simply chosen to configure it where it can't - because it "looks better".

The way you write it in your post makes it sound like the Tern cannot show you all the data you want to see and that is why you prefer the Peregrine.
I think big is the default, and they cannot show the same things

I think the default in tern is big.

Peregrine can show more customized data in one screen on the bottom row. Tern it seems that there is less real estate for customization, only one field. Didn't check if there is more if set to "regular" but I think not.

If you don't mind cycling through multiple screens, then eventually you will have the same information on both computers. Nobody mentioned that one computer shows "less" information. It is all there for you to enjoy yourself.

Personally, I dislike cycling through screens so I prefer to have what is a must and some customized that I prefer on one screen, no button pressing nor cycling screens. Others may have different tastes, that's why it is all under "customization" section.

I think big is the default, and they cannot show the same things
I think the default in tern is big.

Peregrine can show more customized data in one screen on the bottom row. Tern it seems that there is less real estate for customization, only one field. Didn't check if there is more if set to "regular" but I think not.

If you don't mind cycling through multiple screens, then eventually you will have the same information on both computers. Nobody mentioned that one computer shows "less" information. It is all there for you to enjoy yourself.

Personally, I dislike cycling through screens so I prefer to have what is a must and some customized that I prefer on one screen, no button pressing nor cycling screens. Others may have different tastes, that's why it is all under "customization" section.

Weird. You have a Tern in hand and I do not. But, I had the impression that they were the same as the Teric, just without Trimix and CC support. In Normal mode, the Teric has 3 fields across the center row and you can customize them all, just like the Perdix. They even have widgets, so you can see more than 3 pieces of data in that center row, by stacking 2 or 3 pieces of data into one field in the center row.

Got a Pergerine TX 10 days ago and I have already taken it on two 130' dives. It's love at first sight. The screen is easy to use, the interface is first rate, and it works well. Also if you drysuit like me the rectangular shape of the Peregrine works better on bungees to your arm.

ETA: Don't know if the Tern features a compass, but the Peregrine does. That means I can leave my console clipped and secured the whole dive as a backup and just use the Peregrine.

The Tern TX has a compass. The Tern TX/Teric compass is one of my favorite features that, in my opinion, sets them above the Peregrine TX/Perdix.

I use a Perdix as a primary and a tern to as a backup, if I was only going to have one it would be a peregrine or better yet a perdix as it is easier to read and the replaceable battery.

I use a Perdix as a primary and a tern to as a backup, if I was only going to have one it would be a peregrine or better yet a perdix as it is easier to read and the replaceable battery.

Interesting. Most of the comparisons I have seen seem to agree that the Teric is as easy or easier to read than a Perdix. This seems to be because the Teric has an AMOLED screen while the Perdix (and Peregrine) have LCD screens.

The Tern and Tern TX also have AMOLED screens.

I have Old Man Eyes. I dived with a Perdix AI and a Teric for a while. After 2 months or so, I decided I could read the Teric just as easily (in Normal mode - not Big) and I like it better for the other things it offers, so I sold the Perdix and bought a second Teric.

I would have expected the Tern to compare similarly to a Perdix - but I have not actually tried a Tern, so I don't know.

Interesting. Most of the comparisons I have seen seem to agree that the Teric is as easy or easier to read than a Perdix. This seems to be because the Teric has an AMOLED screen while the Perdix (and Peregrine) have LCD screens.

The Tern and Tern TX also have AMOLED screens.

I have Old Man Eyes. I dived with a Perdix AI and a Teric for a while. After 2 months or so, I decided I could read the Teric just as easily (in Normal mode - not Big) and I like it better for the other things it offers, so I sold the Perdix and bought a second Teric.

I would have expected the Tern to compare similarly to a Perdix - but I have not actually tried a Tern, so I don't know.
I have both (Teric and Perdix 2). Teric screen has higher contrast (background is completely black) and off axis viewing is a bit better than the Perdix 2. However, neither of those things are really an issue for the Perdix 2.

The big difference is readability - As the font size on the Perdix 2 is larger, you can more easily read the data on the Perdix 2 when you have comparable info displayed on the Teric (non-Big mode).

As a result, I find myself looking at the Perdix 2 more often than the Teric during a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom